Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

removing 'modify a site' option

Quote Reply
removing 'modify a site' option
2 quick questions.....

1 - I presume by modifying the template files i can remove elements such as the 'modify a site' and 'what's cool' , 'random link' sections if i don't want them in my links database?

2. Is it possible to add muliple links to a file offline, like with a DB excel file rather than have to add 1 link each time via the control panel? which is slow....

Quote Reply
Re: removing 'modify a site' option In reply to
1} yes you can remove what ever you like from the templates.

2} I would use the url spider in the resources section that spiders links and formats them to work with Links2.
You will find it in the extras section of the resource area.

Paul Wilson.
http://www.wiredon.net/gt/
Coming soon => www.perlmad.com
Quote Reply
can you explain what the 'spider' does exactly?
I don't quite get it...

Quote Reply
The spider spiders links and puts them in a flatfile database suitable for use with Links2.

Paul Wilson.
http://www.wiredon.net/gt/
Coming soon => www.perlmad.com
Quote Reply
I created my original category file using Excel. My categories were already in a list so I used some formulas to create the whole thing. Wasn't painless but it worked.

I've downloaded my links.db file into Excel. I took the text file and replaced all the commas with the ^. Then I replaced all the | field delimiters with commas. Then I imported the file into Excel as a comma-delimited file. Worked great.

If you have an Excel spreadsheet, you could do the reverse. You' have to set it up properly. The number of columns would have to match the database. Replace the commas with the ^ or any other character that is not in the spreadsheet. Save the file as a comma-delimited file. Replace the ^ with the | field delimiter. Upload it to your server.

Gene