Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

links manager doesn't see my templates

Quote Reply
links manager doesn't see my templates
Hi again.

I have redisgned the indianawebsites.com templates to suit my needs. I have uploaded them to my templates directory. But the links manager doesn't "see" or "read" them correctly. When i use the build function it builds the home page correctly, but the other pages are screwed up. What's up with this?

Please HELP.
Quote Reply
Re: links manager doesn't see my templates In reply to
P.S.

The manager opens the templates, but they are not the same templates, that are located in the templates directory. Where does it get them from?

Quote Reply
The template files are read via the templates directory.

1) Double check to make sure that you have the correct templates directory specified in the links.cfg file.

2) Make sure that the permissions of all the template files (including the .txt files) are 666 (rw-rw-rw-).

3) Make sure that you have changed the permission of your ROOT directory or LINKS directory outside of the /cgi-bin/ to 777 (rwxrwxrwx).

4) Make sure that you have changed the permission of the following directories within your main LINKS directory to 777 (rwxrwxrwx):

new
cool
ratings

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
It's not working.

When i try to edit the templates through the links manager (these templates look nothing like the ones in the templates directory) and then try to save them i get an error message like this.

CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : Can't open template: /home/professor/public_html/cgi-bin/links/admin/templates/add.html for writing. Reason: Permission denied
Script Location : /home/professor/public_html/cgi-bin/links/admin/admin.cgi
Perl Version : 5.00503

Form Variables
-------------------------------------------
db : links
edit_tpl : add.html
save_template : Save Template
save_tpl : add.html
tpl :

regarding 4. of your reply - this is my main links directory (and there aren't any new,cool,rating directories here)
ddd
admin
add.cgi (5.93 K)
jump.cgi (4.75 K)
modify.cgi (6.72 K)
rate.cgi (4.11 K)
search.cgi (11.39 K)
subscribe.cgi (4.69 K)

. I'm using the default setting so my pages are built in "Pages" directory. Do you mean this directory?
Quote Reply
Again...you need to change the permission of ALL your template files to 666 (rw-rw-rw-) in the templates directory.

How can I make this clear for you?

Uh...you misunderstood 4...I meant the actually directories for the NEW, COOL, and RATINGS pages NOT the cgi scripts!!!!!!!!

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. Smile
----------------------

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited February 14, 2000).]
Quote Reply
the permissions are all set to 666.

Is it possible that my host has screwed up?

Also I have a password set up for my admin directory. Could this interferre with the admin script?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Nope...I have templates in a password protected directory where all the administration scripts are located.

I would go back to the README file...Make sure that you have all the permissions appropriately set-up for all your files.

Then if you are still running into difficulties, contact your hosting company.

Also, you did set the template variable to 1 in the links.cfg file, right?

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
another thing Elliot:

When i uploaded my custom templates yesterday, everything worked fine (the links manager read the right templates and everything). But these problems showed up today. I uploaded the most recent templates yesterday at about 23.55 CET (i also ran the build all pages and they were fine - using the right templates), but now the links manager is showing the templates that were uploaded yesterday at about 18.00 CET (the pages that were built at that time also). Could this be the work of the ugly Y2K?

Quote Reply
Nope...

Again...contact your hosting company for more information.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Thanks for your help.

I've already contacted them and i'm waiting for a reply.

By the way: I did set the template variable to 1.
Quote Reply
Well...it seems to be something screwy with your server configurations especially since you mentioned that old template files are overwriting newer template files you uploaded.

One problem could be is that your hosting company may have done a global restoration of data overnight...which is highly dangerous and unethical. But I have seen bugs like this before crop up when my hosting company moved to a new physical building...in doing that..for some strange reason they decided to restore all systems to original configs and files two days prior...This overwrote a bunch of new files that I had edited...thank goddness, I had backups on two systems with two local back-up storage devices (floppy disk and zip drive).

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
I have one more question.

Where is all the data stored?
Is it in the "data" directory?

I'm not getting any answer from my host, so I'll probably have to reinstall "links", but I don't want to loose my database. Is it possible to keep it and re-upload all other files. Would this solve the problem?

Quote Reply
The data files should be in either the cgi-bin/links/data or cgi-bin/links/admin/data depending on how you configured the links.cfg file.

Yep...try re-installing a fresh copy of LINKS.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
EUREKA!

I did it.

For some reason, the on-line file manager of my host is screwed.
So i checked the files through CuteFTP and the file attributes weren't set correct (although i CHMODed them through my host's file manager) so i set them to 666 (the template files).

It's all working now.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
Quote Reply
Like I mentioned in MY FIRST REPLY!!!!!!????

Good. Glad you finally figured it out!

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Sorry, but i did CHMOD them to 666 through the on-line manager of my host. I didn't know it was screwed up. Anyway, thanks for your help. A LOT. YOU'RE THE BEST, YOU'RE THE KING.

OK?

Thank you.

Quote Reply
I would NOT rely on web based editors to change permissions of scripts...ALWAYS use FTP or telnet to change permissions of files!

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------