Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

I've got a tricky question... ;)

Quote Reply
I've got a tricky question... ;)
OK guys,

I have went overboard on my last project with Links 2.

I have converted it into an online DB parts catalog.

It has the normal home page (which wont be shown), the category pages with the links listed and then the detailed page, which is generated to point into my shopping cart program.

Pretty nice the way I have it set up. It is based on Group Purchasind and it counts the number of buyers that are in the group in a given product (link).

I have about 30 or so fields in the DB to represent alot of things, i.e. price, quantity needed, part picture, manufature logo, details, etc, etc.

But here is what I am looking at needind.

Let us say you go to a particular category.

Well under normal circumstances it would just list them items (links) down the page it whatever format I like (appearance).

With all the information I have in the DB, I would like to somehow take the TOP or Cool Links (parts which in turn would have the most hits which represnt a sale) have more info listed that the rest.

Sounds confusing I know.

I would want it to show a more detailed listing (link) with like the picture and some details, say two of them at the top of the page... then the rest of them would be listed like normal in tables descending down the page.

I could probably make it only relfect the 'Hot' items to do this, but limiting them to '2' only is where I lay confused.

Anyone following this??

Two detailed items up top on a particular categroy page and the rest just running down the page in a table format. Using the items that are flagged as HOT would be the choice, but limiting it to only two of them.

HTML, layout and all that is not the concern, just the PERL itself.

Thanks for any ideas...

As always,
Mike

Quote Reply
Re: I've got a tricky question... ;) In reply to
Eliot.

Thanks for replying.

Let me whip a picture, BRB...

OK, I whipped up an example page, you can see it here.

This would be the first page once you entered a category...

Damn HTML's off, here ya go.
http://www.raburn.net/example.html

Thanks for any input.

Mike

[This message has been edited by MRaburn (edited October 22, 1999).]
Quote Reply
I am sort of following you...You want to have detailed pages linked to records that have icons or text like HOT or COOL next to them, right?

Please provide a visual example or a working example of what you are trying to accomplish.

Thanks.

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
Mike,

What kind of a shopping cart are you using with this? Or is it just wherein you are pointing the links to some other vendor?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Socrates,

I am using the CartIt program. Works really well. I have everything set up, the detailed page points to the cart program and works great.

The detailed pages are done. Just building the categroy dispayed items page.

I sent you an email!

Mike
Quote Reply
Socrates,

I am using the CartIt program. Works really well. I have everything set up, the detailed page points to the cart program and works great.

The detailed pages are done. Just building the categroy dispayed items page.

I sent you an email!

Mike
Quote Reply
something like:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum3/HTML/003566.html

jerry
Quote Reply
Hey Widgetz,

Looks like that might work for me, I'll play with it tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks
Mike
Quote Reply
Well I've thought about that one.

One, it would definately give me the two first I need in a diff format, but once I started listing the rest at the bottom is would list the first two as well. Which is somehing I wouldnt want to do since this is a catalog, not really just links.

There has got to be a way to get it to count and jsut do the first two links in the sort differnently. Of course I havent come up with it. Wink

Mike
Quote Reply
I would like to thank Jerry for helping me out. We were able to get it to work.

It now sorts by 'Hits' and then lists the first 2 links in detail at the top of the page then the rest are listed down the page in table format.

Thanks!
Mike

[This message has been edited by MRaburn (edited October 25, 1999).]