Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Don't want to validate new additions

Quote Reply
Don't want to validate new additions
Hi.

I've looked through all the Links 2.0 forums for quite a while and cannot seem to find an answer to my particular question.

I have set up Links 2.0 and it's working beautifully (it's at http://atlantis.ucc.ie/multimedia/links/pages/).

Now this links database is only needed for internal use so I don't want to have to validate new link submissions. I want the new submissions to be automatically validated and the database to be rebuilt after every submission or, if the latter isn't possible, to set up a routine that rebuilds the database every 2 hours or so.

Can anyone help me?

Hopefully,
Jannetje

Quote Reply
Re: Don't want to validate new additions In reply to
To automatically re-build your directory, use Crontab that has been discussed numerous times in this forum. There is also a FAQ in the Resource Center about Crontab. If you are using a Windoz server, then you can use a Windows Scheduler Program.

To automatically add links...try simply replacing $db_valid_name in your add.cgi to $db_links_name.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Thanks Eliot,
I really appreciate your increadibly speedy response.
I'm sorry for asking a question that has already been discussed -- perhaps I wasn't searching too inteligently.
I will also try changing the lines in add.cgi and I'm sure that should solve my little problem.
Thanks again!
A smile from Ireland,
Jannetje

Quote Reply
Hi Eliot,

It's all working nicely, just like you suggested. Thanks again.

One more question .... I'm not sure if this makes sense, but would it be possible to also allow our users to modify existing records without an administrator having to validate the proposed modifications? i.e. any modifications received would be added to the links.db automatically (like I now have the add a new link set up). I tried changing the $db_modified_name to $db_links_name in modify.cgi but that doesn't work. How else could I go about it?

Cheers,
Jan