Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

REVIEW.CGI

(Page 5 of 5)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: REVIEW.CGI In reply to
why always that I try to install this mod I receive this message

Error! Can't retrieve review.cgi from widgetz.com! Try Again Later!

------------------
Quote Reply
First of all, congratulations to Jerry on a job well done ! this mod is what ever links site needs.

i was wondering , i just installed links, and added the mod. so i dont have any previous rates in the database that i want to keep , so i will use it for both , reviews, and ratings . but , it threre a way that the rating can also be displayed just like before on the links page ?
it would be nice.

Thanks,

by the way, where can i get the stars images ?

[This message has been edited by Laith (edited August 19, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Widgetz, this is what I get when validating a review:

Email Error: 2. Record validated, but couldn't send auto email. Reason: Bad Email addres: ''.

Also, how can I use the variables and hash items in review.def in nph_build.cfg without doing the require statement (that disrupts the entire database)?

Thanks!

------------------
Michael G. Bronner
emMGee Graf-X, Web Design
www.emmgee.com
Quote Reply
Laith, if you mean the numbers, they still come up if you put the <%Rating%> code in link template. If it is the pictures you want then i am not so sure.

You can get the stars from

http://www.asan.com/users/phoenix/mod-ratings.html

------------------
-------------------------
http://www.freeontheweb.com/
Reviewed and rated resources for webmasters
-------------------------
Quote Reply
kiels.. my script doesn't USE the ratings dir... you are obviously trying to use rate.cgi.. if you are doing the "review only" mod.. then you can add it back in in /admin/data/rates chmod 777

proenca.. do you have LWP? or maybe my server was down.. i'll make a downloadable version when i don't feel so sick [i've been throwing up all day]

laith.. the ratings can't be displayed on the review page (like how they are now) becuase links.db only keeps track of the votes and the current "average" rating.. so it can't find the highest or lowest.. or it can't tell you how many of each number where rated on..

"average" cause it seems to work wierdly.. not sure if alex did mean to do that.. but it's cause you can't average something out that is using another average Smile

i beleive he times VOTESxRATINGS... and then he adds the rating in and then divides that plus votes plus the new rating.. which isn't a real average Smile

also.. i'll make some links on the instructions page for you people to get the stars and the "mods" for it..

mikeb.. that prolly means you have a bad email address Smile yea.. i have no clue on what to do with the review.def into the nph-build.cgi.. it is not a good idea.. what i would do is make a nph-review.cgi or something.. hehe..

woo.. so far so good.. i went to sleep at around 4:15 am.. got up 2:00 pm.. felt sick.. tried to stand up.. kept putting cold water on my head to "soothe" it.. hehe and then i took a shower.. long one.. hehe.. couldn't stand up.. closed my eyes so i wouldn't feel dizzy.. and then i didn't dry my hair.. so i could sleep with cold water.. but then i threw up all my ADVIL.. hehe.. SOOTHING.. i went to sleep at like 3:15pm and now i'm awake at 5:30pm.. still feeling weird.. haven't thrown up since! Smile

jerry

jerry
Quote Reply
Hey widgetz,

Take a little more care for yourself man. You are working to hard on all these mods. It's not worth it getting sick of it.

But anyway, I hope you feel a little better and I am also looking forward to the downloadable version since I still can't use LWP.

I wrote my host provider but still no answer.

Take care,

Jeroen

------------------
Free 4U2: a searchable directory of free stuff
http://www.free4u2.com

When something does not function properly, hit it hard.....
.....When it breaks it had to be replaced anyway.

Quote Reply
hehe.. dunno.. i always go to sleep late.. just this morning i woke up with one big headache.. and then it turned to stomach ache.. the only thing i have eaten was advil though.. hehe.. whenever i am about to eat something i feel sick again and really want to throw up.. anyways.. i have to go somewhere tonight.. so i can't get to anything til tommorrow..

i promised ceglobe i'll do something for him in the morning and it's pretty long thing.. hehe an "essay" sorta.. product review.. anyways.. it will help me get my "writing" skills back.. all i know to write right now is...

Code:
if ($in{'money'} > 999999999999999999999) {
print "YOU ARE RICHER THAN BILL GATES!!";
}
else {
print "Sorry man.. try again..";
}

hehe..

jerry
Quote Reply
Laith, that shouldn't be hard at all... you can create you own images, just name them the same as the stars, in the same order. Smile

Cheers!

------------------
Michael G. Bronner
emMGee Graf-X, Web Design
www.emmgee.com
Quote Reply
After installing this mod word for word ( i think !) when i try to rate a site i get this error:
CGI ERROR==========================================
Error Message : Can't increment counter file '/15'. Reason: Permission denied
Script Location : /u/web/antiq7/cgi-local/links/rate.cgi
Perl Version : 5.003

any ideas anyone?
thanks
Quote Reply
padders, Thank you for the link to the images.
what i meant was for the average rating to appear as stars in the links page, i think that if we can do it with a smaller size stars, it would be very useful and elegant.

if anyone has any ideas how this can be done, please help me out.

p.s. this thread is getting too large, why dont you guys start a new thread Smile
Quote Reply
I tried to make a new post, anyone saw review.cgi (2) ???? but you guys decided it was not such a good idea i guess

:-)
Quote Reply
hello...

uhh dazed.. review.cgi has nothing to do with rate.cgi

ok..

umm.. if anyone wants to post.. please redirect to:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...um3/HTML/002805.html

this post is way to big.. and i don't like waiting for it to load anymore..

also.. bobsie if you would be so kind and close this post..

we'll leave it at 111 replies Smile

jerry
> >