Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

MyLinks.cgi

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
MyLinks.cgi
I tried to install mylinks, but there's an error message everytime I want to run the script...

Undefined subroutine &main::site_html_my_home called at /is/htdocs/10048/www.music-sites.net/cgi-bin/directory/mylinks.cgi line 208.

The link to links.cfg is correct. Also the templates are uploaded, but they don't include all the text (just plain html-site without anything, because I don't know, where to get the templates)

Quote Reply
Re: MyLinks.cgi In reply to
You need to create the sub site_html_my_home in your site_html_templates.pl file.

The error message means that the sub is NOT in your site_html_templates.pl and the script cannot find it...thus undefined.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
Web: http://www.anthrotech.com/
Quote Reply
Thanks! I just forgot that!

Could you tell me, where to get the templates for this 'mylinks'?

Quote Reply
Here's some sample templates for ya:
http://www.eachandevery.com/mylinks_templates/

Later... Ryan

Quote Reply
Does anyone have the Site_Html.pl Subs for this mod. I had to give up on it, I tried my damndest. I have the scripts and cookied working fine, just cannot get the subs to output correctly not using the templates.

Thanks
Mike

Quote Reply
You can find the subs here
http://www.homewithgod.com/...e_html_templates.txt
You may need to edit the name of the template files and the subs. I have left out the underscores in the template file names and sub names.

Jimmy Crow
http://www.homewithgod.com/
Quote Reply
hey guys.. can you guys tell me if this modification works in internet explorer 5.0

i've had trouble with some modifications i am currently working on.. the cookies for some reason don't work..

Jerry Su
email@jerrysu.com
http://www.jerrysu.com/
Quote Reply
I tested it in MIE 5.0 a month ago at work and it worked fine. Are you using MIE 5.5 (Beta) for PC?

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
Web: http://www.anthrotech.com/
Quote Reply
i don't use beta microsoft software cause they are sooo buggy

i think it's got something to do with the number of cookies i am setting.. i set 3 and only two saved.. so i'm going to set it with paths and see if it has anything to do with only allowing 2 cookies per url or something

Jerry Su
email@jerrysu.com
http://www.jerrysu.com/
Quote Reply
works fine with my IE 5

Quote Reply
I am using MIE 5 and Netscape 4.7 works fine on both.

Incidentally, I use two links installations on my site, which are not linked in any way. I have mylinks on both and installed mylinks.cgi into both copies seperatley under one domain name, I just used a different name in the mylinks.cgi, (where you had mylinks) and the same domain name, both are working, saving one cookie on my pc with entries for both files. Great

Thanks Jerry, a great mod.

DavyC

:)

Quote Reply
Hi to All,
I've downloaded all the MyLinks templates and the script from http://ucmd.virtualave.net/mylinks/ and followed the instructions.
Now when I bookmark a link, the link shows up in my_add.html and a cookie is made.
This is my cookie:
MyLinks
3x6x5
195.66.30.215/

But when I want to see all my bookmarked links (my_home.html) I get an error message "No Links Stored". The options Deleting a cookie and Deleting All works fine. I'm using MS I.E. v5.5 128b UK under Windows2000 with the latest Perl version from ActiveState...
Are there more having this problem???

This is my "my_home.html":
<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#ffffff">
<tr><TD align="left" bgcolor="white" width="100%">
<%if links%>
<%links%>
<%endif%>
<%ifnot links%>
No Links Stored!
<%endif%>
</TD></TR>
</TABLE>

###############################################################################
#Add these subroutines above sub site_html_print_cat in site_html_templates.pl#
###############################################################################
sub site_html_my_link {
my %rec = @_;
($rec{'isNew'} eq 'Yes') ? ($rec{'isNew'} = 1) : (delete $rec{'isNew'});
($rec{'isPopular'} eq 'Yes') ? ($rec{'isPopular'} = 1) : (delete $rec{'isPopular'});
return &load_template ('my_link.html', {
%rec,
%globals
});
}
sub site_html_my_home {
my $tags = shift;
print &load_template ('my_home.html', {
%$tags,
%globals
});
}

Maybe someone can help me out....

Quote Reply
Re: MyLinks.cgi WORKING!!! IT IS WORKING! In reply to
Hi everyone! I got the mylinks.cgi WORKING! http://www.antiquetractorsonline.com I am delighted! Thank you very much to everyone for posting their helpful information on this board - and for home with God, who (without knowing) posted the final bits of information I needed to get it up and running.

I am NO (and I repeat NO) perl programmer - and stumble about quite a bit in the dark, and was quite surprised (actually almost fell out of my chair when it worked last night!) when it finally worked! Took quite a bit of patience and quite a FEW (ahem) hair pulling HOURS! I enjoyed it nonetheless.

OK - nuff strutting about. I would love to help anyone if I can (no expert here - but will do whatever) and I am asking for help, if possible, on the alta vista search mod. Maybe someone who has had success with this, and needs help with the mylinks can work with me on it?

Question - with the alta vista search mod, can you use the mybookmark feature? I don't think so, because it is not an internal link. Also, for those of you more experienced - take a look at my site and let me know if you think I should put the alta vista mod in. Would it be better to just build on what I have now? I know this is a wierd question, but I guess I would like some advise as to what you feel (with your own links programs) is best for the average surfer. Perhaps having alta-vista search also will be just too much.

Boy, I hope I make sense? Anyway, thank you, thank you, thank you all! Thank you Elliot, Home with God, and everyone!

Best,

Kate
Antique Tractors Online.com
http://www.antiquetractorsonline.com
(New page) For the Antique Tractor Hobbiest

In Development
Quote Reply
Re: MyLinks.cgi Working On In reply to
Thank you Widgetz for this awesome mod. You asked what people were using. I am using IE 5.0, and it works great! This is a terrific mod.

Best,

Kate

In Development
Quote Reply
Got MyLinks to work... thanks all.....

Quote Reply
Good!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Re: MyLinks.cgi WORKING!!! IT IS WORKING! In reply to
Kate,

In Reply To:
I am NO (and I repeat NO) perl programmer - and stumble about quite a bit in the dark, and was quite surprised (actually almost fell out of my chair when it worked last night!) when it finally worked! Took quite a bit of patience and quite a FEW (ahem) hair pulling HOURS! I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Good for you!!! Smile

Don't worry, it takes time to learn a programming language, like Perl, and also scripts that use the programming language.

In Reply To:
Question - with the alta vista search mod, can you use the mybookmark feature?
Nope...won't work with the current My Links script. When I upgrade to LINKS SQL, I will be working on a Mod that will store URLs into personalized bookmark tables...so, it will work with both internal and external links.

In Reply To:
Also, for those of you more experienced - take a look at my site and let me know if you think I should put the alta vista mod in.
Looking at your site won't tell us anything. If you have LWP installed in your server, then you can use the Altavista Mod.

In Reply To:
Would it be better to just build on what I have now? I know this is a wierd question, but I guess I would like some advise as to what you feel (with your own links programs) is best for the average surfer. Perhaps having alta-vista search also will be just too much.
That is strictly up to you and your web visitors. If you and your web visitors would like to show results from the "Web", then using the Altavista Mod is good decision. If you want people to only search links in your site, then you don't need the Mod.

In Reply To:
Boy, I hope I make sense? Anyway, thank you, thank you, thank you all! Thank you Elliot, Home with God, and everyone!
You're welcome.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Just wondering has the resource center been updated
on this subject? I would like to try out this script.
I have been following this for several pages but it seems now people are getting it to work instead of bug reports.

Or do I have to go thru the form and change the script as
I go? I am not really sure which end is up on this script
I don't know where to start because there are a lot of
threads on this subject.
Quote Reply
Don't know...why not check it out for yourself and see if there are any NEW links in the Modifications section??

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
That's kinda why I asked because in the resource center
the link is dated
Code:
(Added: 2000-04-15 Hits: 292 Rating: 6.83 Votes: 6)
Then you have to follow a very long thread to you
finally get to this page. I guess what I am asking is
does anyone have the new mod if it's not the one in the
resource center?

Quote Reply
There should not be a new Mod released since Widgetz wrote the Mod...I guess I am confused about what you are asking.

What new Mod??

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Ok... Is the same mod (Mylinks) posted in the resource
center the same one as everyone is getting to work now?

Has there been any major changes? There are alot of threads
that led me to believe that the code has been overhauled in
order to work properly?

Quote Reply
The one in the resource center is fine.

Quote Reply
RE: Links & GoFetch - new mod? In reply to
Thanks Elliot! Since writing that post, I have put up the goFetch program (and it is excellent!) and have decided not to do the alta-vista mod.

I have put up a dbman database to search the resulting database (from GoFetch) - and am calling it "Extra Links" so that if people want to search through those links they can, providing extra sources of information.

That database will be purged from time to time - but will allow people to enter url's and get extra sites. It might (and has so far) encouraged people to add links they found in that program that I did not have in the Links program.

I have discussed the additional search mods with different people, and many are engaged in businesses that they want strict control over what competitors links are put in. I can understand this, and not being in business (but purely a hobby site) puts me at an advantage, as I can link anyone with similar content.

I tried copying Links.cfg, search.cgi, site html templates, and changing where they point, (of course renaming them linksspider.cfg, searchspider.cgi and so forth - making them separate) and adding new templates (linksspider.html), to do a search on the spider.db. I was successfull, but do not have the knowledge of how to change the way the url's spit out. That is, I still have the links presenting as ID#'s instead of URL's.

I was going to try and put an extra search on the bottom of search results, saying "search the extra links" or something like that, and having the search.cgi point to spider.db and spit out the results just like my links would - but being able to point to the URL and go. I know these would not be bookmarkable, but they would present in the same fashion as my regular links - and maybe result in more additions to my database, with no extra effort on my part.

Has anyone else thought of doing this? The output is excellent, and it looks just like a links program output, except that the link url's are not clickable. It would be most excellent if there were a button people could mash (just like you would mash spider it, rate it) to automatically add it (the url from spider.db) to the Links validate.db without that much effort on the part of the surfer? Or the links manager? Even if it automatically places the url in the add url field of the add.html for you to just quickly add the rest of the information would be great. New template "addspider.html" or something like that where you mash the "add it" button above the spider.db it does just like the translate does - automatically fills in the url in the field (on the addspider.html form). Does this make sense?

Is this possible? Hey - maybe it would be a great way to combine the goFetch and Links programs. A new Mod? I am not technical enough to think of how this can be done, but I know maybe someone else is. Please let me know if this can be done. It would be great!

Thanks! Sorry this post is so long - it takes me twice as many words to say what I am thinking it seems that most!

Best,

Kate

In Development
Quote Reply
Re: RE: Links & GoFetch - new mod? In reply to
These questions should really be posted either in a separate Thread or in the New Spider Mod Thread since they do NOT deal with the MY Links Mod...It is really challenging and frustrating to follow multiple Mod questions in the same Thread.

Anyway...if you had taken the time to read the New Spider Mod Thread (the most recent one), you would've seen that Bmxer is going to work on an administrative add-on that will automatically import data from the spider.db file into the links.db file. (And he is going to use DBMAN to do this.)

Wink

Regards,

Eliot Lee
> >