Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Multiple Category Submission Mod Please

Quote Reply
Multiple Category Submission Mod Please
Hi all,

I need a links mod that will allow one link to be listed in several categories. Does anybody have this mod? A lot of my links can go into more than one category.
Quote Reply
Re: [IVANAGROWALOT] Multiple Category Submission Mod Please In reply to
see

http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/links-mods/

I had a problem with it working on add.html ( wouldn't show up in the validate ) but somehow I got it to work...

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Quote Reply
Re: [esm] Multiple Category Submission Mod Please In reply to
Gene,

I'm having a problem getting it to show in Add.html It doesn't show at all. And if I can't get it to show in there then I can't get it show in validate. I did everything that it asked, so I have no clue as to why it isn't working. Thanks for the link.
Quote Reply
what do you have in your add.html?

it should look something like

Code:
<TR>
<TD ALIGN=right VALIGN=top NOWRAP WIDTH=120>Add'l Categories:&nbsp;</TD>
<TD><%AltCategories%></TD>
</TR>

also, in looking at the mod, if your insert the altcat in position number 5, you will need to "insert" the field into each link in the links.db file.

see the cvsdb at http://home.hccnet.nl/...oftware/software.htm

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Quote Reply
Gene,

I want to put it at this url. But not sure what to fix in the add.html file and also what you said on a csv editor or something?

http://www.rootssearch.net/cgi-bin/rsearch/add.cgi
Quote Reply
in your add.html insert the altcat like below

Code:
<tr>
<td align="right" valign="top"><small><font face="Arial">Category:</font></small></td>
<td><small><font face="Arial"><%Category%></font></small></td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td align="right" valign="top"><small><font face="Arial">AltCategories:</font></small></td>
<td><small><font face="Arial"><%AltCategories%></font></small></td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td align="right" valign="top"><small><font face="Arial">Description:</font></small></td>
<td><small><font face="Arial"><textarea wrap="virtual" name="Description" rows="3" cols="34"></textarea></font></small></td>
</tr>

once you add the AltCategories field to the db_def section in the links.def file, you will need to add that field to the links.db file. the CSVdb editor allows you to do that painlessly. If you inserted the field at position 5, you must do the same to the links.db file. if you add it to the end of the fields, then you can just add to the end of the link.db file. there are lots of posts in the forum dealing with that.

Remember to save a copy of your links.db file on your local hard drive and DO NOT TOUCH IT!

Gene
Quote Reply
Gene,

I think I did something wrong. I got an Unknown tag. I added everything right. Hmmm http://www.rootssearch.net/cgi-bin/rsearch/add.cgi I think there is something wrong. I did put the next field at the of the db file. Everything appears to be fine but it is coming up with that error.

Ivana
Quote Reply
Gene,

I modified one link and put it with multiple categories. Then what I did was, I turned around and rebuilt the entire engine. Everything appears to be working fine. All pages were built and that link appears in them. The only problem is that it isn't showing in the add.cgi. I could always just place the links into apporpriate sub categories if there are any so that it will be displayed on those pages.

I don't know why it is giving me undefined category error.

Ivana
Quote Reply
When I looked at the mod, I noticed that it was for the admin center only and not the add.html. So I knew, you would get that error. but one thing at a time.

It has been over two years since I installed this mod. Early on, I got it to the point where the user could select the alt cats. But they would not appear in the validate. I just had to rely on the email. Finally, about six months ago, I went to work on it and got it fixed. the fix was ugly and I have no idea what I did or how to explain it.

But see, this link. It will get you started. http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...um3/HTML/000960.html. It seems very disjointed but...

I may even look at it myself. I just looked at my code and yikes! I may take another shot at it. but mine seems to be working and I not sure if i want to work on something that is not broke. I may break it....

Gene
Quote Reply
In site_html_templates.pl, under the sub add_page_html (or whatever, I didn't look), you need to add the definition for the field thusly:

alt_cat => $alt_cat

or whatever the name used is. Sorry for not being more clear, just a quick response...

Tongue

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie