Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Links with 186000 URL's

Quote Reply
Links with 186000 URL's
Hi folks, I am currently trying out links2 on an NT server, I have 186,000 loaded, and searches take about 1minute to complete. Will moving to a unix server speed this up, or should I be looking for another solution?

Thanks
Graham
Quote Reply
Re: Links with 186000 URL's In reply to
Hi there,

As soon as your links.db file becomes larger than 1MB, I suggest using the links SQL Version.

Details about this can be found at this site under http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts

I have a friend who runs the SQL version with approx 6,000 catagories and hundreds of thousands of links and searches return in seconds.

------------------
Regards
MDJ
http://www.isee-multimedia.co.uk
Quote Reply
How many can Links SQL hold without slowing down?
Quote Reply
Between 25,000 - 40,000 records (links) depending on the amount of data per field. Check out www.mysql.com for more information about MySQL. You also may want to check out ODBC, which dsn files (created from Access) can hold about the same amount give or take a few thousand.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. Smile
----------------------

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited February 01, 2000).]
Quote Reply

Quote:
Between 25,000 - 40,000 records (links) depending on the amount of data per field.
What is this range based on? Alex indicated in http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...m11/HTML/001402.html that 50,000 links would not pose any problem...

Dan
Quote Reply
The only way that i suggest having this many links is if you're running linksSQL modified to run on a beowulf cluster...
that would require linux... also, it'd require some heavy modification to optimize links for a beowulf cluster... or, another way you could do it is to have a non-beowulf cluster of computers (i'd personally use 9 computers, a server and 8 drones for this) configured thusly: an http request is sent to your computer (the server), which splits up the database into 8 parts, and sends 1 part to every drone. they would each do the search, and return the hits to the server.
Realistically speaking, it'd be better to shrink your database a wee bit. (betcha 10% of those links or more are dead by now, and 1% more will be dead before you read this)
--tom
Quote Reply
You guys might want to read some threads in the SQL forum regarding setting up 2 versions of Apache on the same server to handle more links with Links SQL.

I am going to try and get to the 2 million mark with it ( the code will have to be optimised ) - Although I have no doubt MySQL will handle it.... its just a case of how well Links handles it.

This is on a high-end dedicated server though :P - Don't try to get past 30,000 or so on a Virtual server...

------------------
Michael Bray
Review your webhost or find a new one.
www.webhostarea.com
Links SQL User
------------------

Quote Reply
The range specified earlier is based on the following:

1) Virtually hosted account.
2) Amount of data in fields.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
2 million eh? what are you at now? if you're anywhere close, i stand corrected... tho the beowulf cluster would be fun Smile
and Links should be able to handle it (shouldn't it?), unless you decide to display ALL the links in your database (see ya next week)...

--tom
Quote Reply
Michael,

Didn't I just read in one of the SQL threads that you only have 60 links loaded? 60 -> 2 million is one heck of an extrapolation! Wink Unless of course, you have a couple of different installations running?

Quote:
Unless you are on a really overloaded server, Links SQL won't have any problems with 50,000 links.
Eliot, I would read Alex's statement as implying that #1 is not the deciding factor, rather it is #2 and the quality of the host.

I'm running 4,700 links and over 250 categories with a database around 900k for Links 2 (still setting up Links SQL), and it still runs every bit as fast as the day I added the first link. In theory, I should be at the brink of overloading it...

Dan
Quote Reply
Well, to each his own. I am just taking the word of the MySQL developers...right from the horse's mouth. There are always a multitude of factors. But #1 does have a lot to do with it. Think of it this way...you share your virtual account with 150 other web sites, which may be half of them are using MySQL and the other are using flat file systems or static web pages. It is a matter of time before the processing of data on your site will slow down!

And, yes, you are at the brink of hitting the max. Although if you do not have a lot of data in your database fields, and your database file is less than 1 MG, then you should be fine. Also, if you have 128 or better RAM machine, then you should be fine as well...Hardware also comes into play as well.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply

Quote:
I am just taking the word of the MySQL developers...right from the horse's mouth.
And here I am taking the word of the Links SQL developer. Smile
Quote:
It is a matter of time before the processing of data on your site will slow down!
Only if the host oversells the space and resources. Unfortunately, that's what most seem to do. Frown That is what I meant by referring to the quality of the host.

I'd be surprised if there's less than 150 sites on "my" server, yet I doubt a dedicated server would perform any better for my current Links installation.

Dan
Quote Reply
Well, take my advice or leave it. But as always, you will leave it, eh? BTW: Check your server...I betcha that there at least 100 accounts on it. Mine...there are 175 accounts.

Frown

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
What was your advice? The max range for Links?
Quote:
But as always, you will leave it, eh?
You don't like people disagreeing with you, do you? I think we've interacted maybe three or four times in these forums; "as always" seems a wee bit strong of a term. In most places, it's possible for people to disagree in a civil manner.

Dan
Quote Reply
To follow up: I checked with my host and there are between 250 and 300 accounts on my server. Certainly doesn't reflect in how admirably it performs.

Dan
Quote Reply
Well, Dan...I am just trying to provide information that I have collected from MySQL, which is probably more reliable than yet another third party application developer, like Gossamer Threads.

Anyway...Good luck with MySQL and everything else.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------