Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Global Links Project

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Global Links Project
Dear all,

I think a lot of you are very happy with the links features. May be a lot of you have used it in different areas or different regions.

I am looking for anyone who are interested to build a "Global Links Project". This project will require people from all around the world to build their own local web sites directory by using Links. For example, if you are living in UK, you can build a web site directory for UK sites only. Or you can build a site just for London. We can build a global directory within a very short period of time.

The reason behind by building local web site directory is because the trend of internet is going to getting more and more localized and more focus. For example as Yahoo, you can see them are building more and more localized web sites. Like Japan, Asia, UK...

The benifits of this project is:
--build a global directory within a very short period of time
--capture the attention of the WWW community
--very little investment(mostly web hosting cost and time for maintanence) with very great potential(we can have another even more powerful global search engine)
--utilize the brain power from people all around the world

This project should require who are:
-- willing to do some big thing on the net
-- want to have a good position at local market or even global market
-- willing to work together from people around the world
-- people from all around the world

Yahoo start from building a big search engine for US and we can start from small local towards global market. We have a unlimited workforce(people using links) and a lot of idea.

This is just a start, I will contact more people outside this board to join this project, from all around the world.

If anyone are interested, please email me at glinks@iname.com or ICQ me at : 28375914

Have a good Year!!
Bear

------------------
Bear EveryWhere
Quote Reply
Re: Global Links Project In reply to
Hi Bear,

You have a good idea. I live in Brazil and i help you creating a diretory only for Brazilian sites.

You have the adress for this project?

You use links 1.1 or Links 2b4?

Quote:
Send-me more informations about this project. My e-mail: weblinker@manaus.br

Tanks.

------------------
[]'s

Lucas Saud - #19815087

Quote Reply
I suggest that someone should host ALL the sites for the Global Links service. That way it would be more enticing and there would be no barriers to entry for those truly interested individuals. Potential site operators simply sign up for an exclusive area -- you can call it a franchise -- and maintain and provide links for that specialized community and benefit from selling and displaying banner ads for that location.

I think I might know someone who is willing to provide the web hosting without cost except getting his banners shown throughout the network.

John
http://www.yahoosuck.com

[This message has been edited by jmurphy (edited January 15, 1999).]
Quote Reply
The Home Page - WWW.GLOBAL-VILLAGE.COM (or any other appropriate domain name)

US Locations/Communities:

florida.global-village.com
pensacola.florida.global-village.com
newyorkcity.global-village.com
brooklyn.newyorkcity.global-village.com
philadelphia.global-village.com

And we can have locations for every country and town in the world.

london.england.global-village.com
capetown.southafrica.global-village.com

I think you get the idea.

Each community or town should have its own administrator responsible for maintaining the links and adding new resources.

John

Quote Reply
Hi Bear,

I know someone who is willing to provide the web hosting without cost except getting his banners shown throughout the internet network. He is Advertising Master!!!

Below you will find his website.
www.classifieds2000.net

Christopher L Bear
Quote Reply
Hey hey hey. Not so fast sonny. Now don't let him used-car salesman you with that so-called advertising "expert". My deal is no-strings attached.

Somehow I feel that this would become a bidding war...

John
Quote Reply
Hi John,

>Now don't let him used-car salesman you

1.) This guy no used-car salesman lets
just get this straight....

>with that so-called advertising "expert".

2.) Let's Just say he as over 100,000+ targeted subcribers, that read his EZine.

3. You can do anything, i was just trying
to give everyone a help.

4. Going once, Going Going, Sold. Smile

Christopher

Quote Reply
jmurphy,

can you tell us this persons website or e-mail address. As you have seen in the links discussion form, i was looking for Free hosting and this just may be my chance. I do not care about the banners. would i be able to host a eu.org domain? I was reading about it and it basically the same process.

Thanks.
Jim
Quote Reply
NetAce, email me to discuss about this hosting idea.

John
Quote Reply
Hi All,

Thanks for all you guys support for this project. I have received email requests from people in different countries as well.

I will write a web page talking about this project in details before Monday. There will be a form for webmasters to sing up. I will also hold a dissusion board(if i have time) to let the active webmasters to take about it.

I only provide the starting idea. I really apprecipated that if anyone can provide more idea and information to all of us. Internet is a place for collecting information, it's also a place to gather ideas, help each others, work together and bring something new to this world!

Have a nice weedend!

------------------
Bear EveryWhere
Quote Reply
I was interested in doing a project like this about a month ago, but didn't have enough motivation to start.

I can buy any domain and get subdomains (florida.domainnamehere.com) etc.

Everybody who signs up will be able to control each regional directory?

dreamjedi. (email me @ dreamjedi@hotmail.com if interested)

------------------
if it's not a jedi, it's not real.
Quote Reply
oh ya one more thing about a global initiative like this, everybody who controls each region would control advertising for their region, to best serve to the audience from that region (ie. somebody from Brazil shouldn't be choosing advertising for people from Mexico).

Oh ya one more thing, this will take alot of time and effort.

dreamjedi

------------------
if it's not a jedi, it's not real.
Quote Reply
Hi,
I like the idea and have contacted Bear about joining for Perth, Western Australia. I have previously thought about doiung such a thing for my area and one of my ideas was providing a one page site for small business that arent on the net for a small fee like 50$ a year or so to encourage the businesses to get on the web and to fill the directory maybe. Let me know what you think.
-Backup
Quote Reply
Hi all,

The homepage for Global Links Project has been completed. You can sign up and I also hold a dicussion forum ;-) for GLP.

You can come to:
http://216.71.3.248/glp/

This project still have a lot of things for to dicuss. I hope everything will be on the good road!
Quote Reply
Woah!

I got compitition here. I was planning it out for a while, Bear springs up regisht before i start, now deramjedi is starting one. Maby it be best for us 2 to get together and use our combiniding forces to make 1 bigger and more powerful world-directories. You Ccan see what i am up to @ http://world-link.hypermart.net - this is a temp. site.

Hope we can combind,
Jim
jribar@nettaxi.com
Quote Reply
Hi All,

Oh I didn't notice that NetAce wrote another page for Worldlink.

As Vladan Zirojevic said, we should combine our force together. The name isn't important. The most important thing is how to develop a good system to run the Global Directory and help each others. As I said, this is a system for the whole team, not a system to control by any single person. That's the spirit!

------------------
Bear EveryWhere
Quote Reply
jmurphy,

your friend bill never responded to my email. Is he still interested in hosting international directory?

thanks,
jim

Also i got a preview of my site and the design up: http://world-link.hypermart.net/NewdEsign/index.html
Quote Reply
Let me try to bug him, I'll see what I can do.

John
Quote Reply
How are you planning to allow people to control regions and still have the entire links directory searchable? Will you be using more than one database with individual passwords?
Quote Reply
We will dicuss this. Because our project is for the whole team. We try to fullfill everyone wants. This is great to see if anyone can have any idea in our board. I have collected people from all over the world to join this project. Once again, thanks for everyone to join this project. I hope this project will have an great future!

Another issue is the domain name. I think some people might misunderstand that our Project name is so called "Global Links Project" and the domain name might be related to http://www.globallinks.com, that's NOT TURE! It's just a project name and the FINALLY DOMAIN NAME can be any name. We just need idea and suggestions in order to create the domain name.

As for the web hosting issue. Because personaly, I have plenty of experenices of web hosting and I run a local web hosting company. That's not a real problem. I can find a dedicated server for all of our sites and with a very reasonable cost. If anyone know any good web hosting company, it's real welcome!

I will post another News about this project very soon. This will be a more details project.

I have been talking about the Global Links Project a long time ago(around 3 or 4 months ago). It's great to see a lot of people from all around the world response to this project. Thanks a lot.

I am looking for more people to work as a main stream contributors to this project. If you are interested, please email me. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Interesting!

Bear ignites the idea and everyone copy it!
Should I follow the founder or the copier!?
It is just the beginning!

If we treat this project as "COMPITITION", how can we cooperate with each others? How dare we speak our opinion up?

NetAce, you are really doing a very "GEED" job. You could beat the world for sometimes!!!

I know a lot of people around the world has joined global link project already, they have brighter future and more potential.

TBill
Quote Reply
Hey, TBill, competition is healthy. If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.

It's all up to YOU to pick one or the other. Or maybe, you could start your own?

John

Quote Reply
Hello?

Come on guys, wake up. There is already a huge open directory initiative, NewHoo! which was bought by Netscape and handed to mozilla.org to manage.

http://directory.mozilla.org

Why waste your time and energy when you can already contribute to that project? If you are all that "non-for profit" that you cal lyourselves, you should be there...

Just my 2c
Quote Reply
It's obvious that anyone with a dream of this magnitude is in it for the money.

On another note, NewHoo/Netscape is NOT what we have in mind. This Global-Links project is a community oriented localized links directory. The service is offered free of use to users and contributors. Hopefully we make money by selling banner ads and affinity marketing deals -- just like Yahoo or any other portal site.

John
Quote Reply
Yes. that's right. jmurphy is correct. We didn't said that we are non-profit org, GLP is aims at local portal site and join all the force from all over world to gain a great potential. That's what we thought in our mind.
> >