Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Adding a header to a category

Quote Reply
Adding a header to a category
Hi all, I'm very new to this.

I'm trying to setup a header (what I understand of headers are [correct me if I'm wrong] some HTML code that I would like to appear at the top of the category page when somebody goes in)

I did a Modify category,
In the header field I typed header.txt and I also tried it header.html
under the admin dir I created a header dir and in it I placed header.txt (header.html)

I rebuilt the directory and I still don't get any headers? Is there a variable I need to set to get headers working?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Adding a header to a category In reply to
Hi,

When adding a header, you will need to add the following to category.html:

<%Header%>

This will allow whatever you type in the respective category to appear where you put the header call in the text.

Good Luck
SPH
Quote Reply
I'm having a terrible time with this. I've ready many threads, with a variety of methods.

I tried <%Header%> in my "category.html" template and received an error (sorry I didn't record it, but it was something like "Invalid Header" or something)

Then I added:
<!-- Header-->
<%if Header%>
<%Header%>
<%endif%>
and that doesn't do anything.

Where can I find the recommended, standardized routines for Headers and Footers.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
I figured it out. Yeah!
It was a simple "case sensitive" issue.

I had:
<!-- Header-->
<%if Header%>
<%Header%>
<%endif%>

Should've been
<!-- Header-->
<%if header%>
<%header%>
<%endif%>
Quote Reply
That's an odd one. The "Header" field in category.def is capitalized. Therefore, the <%Header%> should also be capitalized unless, for some reason, category.def was changed.

Moot point since it works for you the way you have it now. I just find it curious.
Quote Reply
Okay now here's a real good question. We can use header inserts in category.html but what would you suggest for other template files like add.html, et al? Just hard code banners?
Quote Reply
You do not need to use the category's header field to create a header. If you have a header that is going to be on each page, regardless, just set it up at the top of site_html_templates.pl (above the %globals variable) like this:

$site_header = qq|header text or html code goes here|;

Then, include this in the %globals hash:

site_header => $site_header,

You will now be able to use <%site_header%> in any template file.

I hope this helps.