A how to guide for building a list of Editor's Pick page

(Page 2 of 4)
> > > >
Quote Reply
Re: A how to guide for building a list of Editor's Pick page In reply to
i have the same problem as sitex,
pick is not added.. and i have those codes
in nph-build.cgi

# Add the link to the list of editor's pick links if it is pick. push (@{$pick_links{$category}}, @values) if
($values[$db_ispick] eq "Yes");

the $db_ispick value in links.def is identical to push (@{$pick_links{$category}}, @values) if
($values[$db_ispick] eq "Yes");

it won't work for me?
Quote Reply
hellraida,

This is great! I just added it and everything went smooth!

One thing that I didn't think I saw you mention was that if you are adding this to an existing database you need to add the new field into the database.

Thanks for the great mod.

crisco
Quote Reply
maky,
sitedex doesn't have a problem anymore. everything that should make this mod work is in this thread.

crisco,
Quote:
One thing that I didn't think I saw you mention was that if you are adding this to an existing database you need to add the new field into the database.

the first steps were all about adding a new field...that's the only way it would work is to add a new field.

bye for now
Quote Reply
hellraida,

I meant in the actual links.db file.

If you have an existing links.db file and make changes to links.def that add's a new field (in steps 1 and 2 of your how-to), and don't touch your links.db file, then load up your admin screen and check your links you'll see that they get all staggared.

That is, the first record will be all right, except for the last field, is pick, which would have the ID number in it (? maybe) of the nest record, etc, so that nothing lines up at all once you get down a few records?

Maybe, I don't know. I added the ispick field right after ispop, then adjusted my links.db by adding the new field with a default "No" in it throughout the db.

( did this with a script from bobsie, see http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...um3/HTML/001090.html )

When I loaded up the admin everything was set and everything was set to "No" in the ispick field.

Again I think this *might* only be a problem with existing databases. Not sure though.

But again, everything worked great for me when I made the adjustment to my links.db file. I didn't even try it without doing the adjustment.

crisco

Quote Reply
i duno why i get
Unkown Tag: build_pick_url
error
Quote Reply
add this
Quote:
%rec,

before %globals

in the site_html_pick routine
Quote Reply
crisco,

i understand what you mean now
Quote Reply
ok i got it to work now, but another problem comes out after i added the mod.. I cannot add sites using IE, after i fill out the forms for adding, it just refresh the window and the data is not added, however netscape works but takes a long time tho, i am not sure if it's this mod cause it like that? it just occurs after i added the mod.. any ideas?
Quote Reply
now...what a simple mind like myself would like, is if someone would be so kind to summarise what changed or what didn't by posting a new *full* step-by-step on this.

Perhaps I'm too lazy :-), but I feel more comfortable when it's tested, stepped and working.

I appreciate the efforts to make links and mods very highly btw, and I am thankful for whatever help I get. Keep up the good work.
Quote Reply
Great mod, but how do I alter it to sort the links by something other than category ? Say date or title order ?

Anyone ?

------------------
Craig Antill
10 Tenths Motorsport (1.1) - www.Ten-Tenths.com/links/
THE Directory (2.0b3) - www.gardenbuildings.com/
Quote Reply
sorry no info for you on that one.

Quote Reply
I might be being silly here but did bobsie's first question ever get answered:

what is it you add to %db_def? You don't show anything.

and also the 2nd question:

You are right. Also, it is necessary to create an 'yes,no' option, in order to select the editor's picks in the admin - right?

sorry if these have been answered but i am unsure what to do. Thanks for any help

------------------
-------------------------
http://www.freeontheweb.com/
Reviewed and rated resources for webmasters
Quote Reply
everything to make it work is in my original post (any spelling errors or incorrect use of words were edited in that original post), ignore bobsie's post because i corrected it after he pointed it out w/ the following.
Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out..i didn't leave it out in the message composition..it was because i incorrectly used ubb code and that part didn't show up that was supposed to be in the links.cfg and the links.def sections (steps 1 and 2) repsectively. I did forget the instructions about the yes or no field though..thanks to both of you for pointing those out to me

and yes you do need the yes | no option.
Quote Reply
I thought i was being silly.... thank you veru much for clearing that up for me.. it looks like a great mod.

------------------
http://www.freeontheweb.com/
Reviewed and rated resources for webmasters
Quote Reply
no problemo
Quote Reply
I was wondering if this great mod can be further modified to reflect a similar build as "What's New". I intend on using this mod for a "Site of the Month" Award. I would like to create spanning pages based on an additional variable,"AwardDate", which is NOT autogenerated via the &get_date routine.
This variable is manually inputted.

I was just wondering if an adjustment could be made to this mod to create spanning pages based on this added variable.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
Hello,

I`m very new here!!!! I love this board! You all have it together!!!!!
I have gotten links running with no problem! But I tried to modify it a little by adding the above mod! What I have ran into is and error after I build!CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : fatal error: Undefined subroutine &main::site_html_pick called at /data1/hypermart.net/pocketlint/cgi-bin/links/admin/nph-build.cgi line 1057.

I went to line 1057 and it is the following.

print PICK &site_html_pick(@pick_links);

What am i missing? I followed the Instuctions to the " T " . ( well I thnk I did! ) If any one could help it would really be appricated!!!!!!

------------------
Thanks
Dingle
Quote Reply
How to make span page.
Thanks for advance
Quote Reply
I asked this question awhile back (if you look at the Eliot Reply) and no answer has been presented.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.
Quote Reply
How can I change the script to select 'No' in isPick section when validating new links? Everithyng works well but this...

I have upgraded the links.db file with new field (I have added at the end of every record a '|No').
Quote Reply

Code:
isPick => 'No'

in your %add_system_fields hash.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
It should...try adding a link again.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
I am sorry...when I try to add a new link (nr. 1242, for example), I have the following in the validating form:

<tr>
<td align=right valign=top width=20%><font face="verdana,arial,helvetica" size="2">Votes:</font></td>
<td width=80%><input type=text name="Votes-1242" value="0" size="10" maxlength="10"></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td align=right valign=top width=20%>
<font face="verdana,arial,helvetica" size="2">ReceiveMail:</font></td>
<td width=80%><SELECT NAME="ReceiveMail-1242" SIZE=1><OPTION>---<OPTION SELECTED>Yes
<OPTION>No</SELECT></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td align=right valign=top width=20%><font face="verdana,arial,helvetica" size="2">isPick:</font></td>
<td width=80%><SELECT NAME="isPick-1242" SIZE=1><OPTION>---<OPTION>Yes<OPTION>No</SELECT></td>
</tr>

In the isPick field the only thing which is "selected" is the option "---".
Everithyng else works well...and I am going to be crazy because of this error.

Maybe I can help you with this data:
After validating the new record, I have in my validate.db the following:

1242|Aba|http://www.com|14-aprila-2000|Domace_strani/Osebne|sksk|jsdjd|hfhf@gg.com|0|No|No|0|0|Yes|

But after validating this record (and after selecting "Yes" or "No" in the isPick section), the record becomes "larger", with the following outlook:

1242|Aba|http://www.com|14-aprila-2000|Domace_strani/Osebne|sksk|jsdjd|hfhf@gg.com|0|No|No|0|0|Yes|No

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance,

zevsek
Quote Reply
Ahm...before and after validating a new record....sorry my english...:\

Before validating (in validate.db):
1242|Aba|http://www.com|14-aprila-2000|Domace_strani/Osebne|sksk|jsdjd|hfhf@gg.com|0|No|No|0|0|Yes|

After validating (in links.db):
1242|Aba|http://www.com|14-aprila-2000|Domace_strani/Osebne|sksk|jsdjd|hfhf@gg.com|0|No|No|0|0|Yes|No

Quote Reply
You also have to add hidden fields in your add forms in the add.html and add_failure.html files:

Code:
<input type="hidden" name="isPick" value="No">

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
> > > >