Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Pre Sales :

More newbie questions

Quote Reply
More newbie questions
Hello all, I have two simple questions...
  1. Am I correct in assuming that it doesn't matter what mail server you are running? Does Gossamer Mail simply poll the assigned catch-all address from any specified POP3 server?
  2. Is it possible to have some users with dedicated POP3 accounts and all the others using the catch-all method?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [paulj] More newbie questions In reply to
Hi,

1. Correct. In addition to being able to collect mail from a catchall, you can also pipe email directly into Gossamer Mail from your mail server, or have it work of mbox files.

2. With the POP Server plugin you could give some users a real pop box, and some users would not have POP access. Other then that, you aren't able to have Gossamer Mail collect from a catchall for some users, and collect from an individual pop account for others (it's either one way or the other).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] More newbie questions In reply to
Hi Alex,

Though as a GM user I shoudn't be posting it here but i am doing it for sake of continuity to the thread.The question (as an extension of paulj question point #2).

Catchall is set for domain somedomain.com for GM accounts.

There are pop accounts support@somedomain.com etc and other accounts are thru GM.

I am sure that mails to abc@somedomain.com would be delivered as also all mails thru GM account (no virtual pop server plugin). This scenario may arise where the end user would not be given pop account (as no virtual pop server plugin) but the administrative mail acounts for a given domain have the pop access. I believe this is the question that paulj was also asking.

If the above is true then does GM have a protection against having a username same as "abc" for which the pop account is there? Or is it that such usernames would have to be put in banned/ restricted usernames by admin.

Thnx

Anup
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] More newbie questions In reply to
Hi,

Because Gossamer Mail works independently from your mail server, it has no way of knowing which pop accounts you have setup. It's up the the Gossamer Mail admin to enter in banned usernames that match all pop accounts that aren't covered by the catchall.

If somebody does take a username that matches an existing pop account, the user won't get that pop accounts email though.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] More newbie questions In reply to
I've actually got GM installed and running now. I didn't realize I needed to enter the banned usernames though. I'd better do that.

I created a seperate GM account for myself and simply used the remote POP feature to bring the mail into my GM account. I plan to use the vBulletin plugin all the other users.