Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Statistics & Admin Access Suggestion

Quote Reply
Statistics & Admin Access Suggestion
Hi Guys,

At the moment, if you're in the admin area and you click on "email" next to a users name and enter their mailbox, it registers your admin access in the login statistics.

Would it be possible to seperate the users "real" login statistics from those where it is in fact the admin. I probably wouldn't bother tracking the admins access to users mailboxes at all - can't think why it would be needed.

Maybe this is something you have already thought of, I don't know.

Cheers,

Regan.

Last edited by:

ryel01: Apr 30, 2002, 10:52 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] Statistics & Admin Access Suggestion In reply to
Sorry about the late reply. This happens because to view the user's email account from the Admin, a session is created, essentially logging in the admin as that user. However, the statistics use the data from the session table to generate the stats, so the admin accesses are counted as user logins.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Statistics & Admin Access Suggestion In reply to
In Reply To:
Sorry about the late reply. This happens because to view the user's email account from the Admin, a session is created, essentially logging in the admin as that user. However, the statistics use the data from the session table to generate the stats, so the admin accesses are counted as user logins.

Just to go slightly off topic... what would be good is if all of the users options were available in the admin area - ie. the admin had access to setup the users filters, folders, etc etc etc. Would make that feature a lot more powerful and useful.

regan.
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Statistics & Admin Access Suggestion In reply to
In Reply To:
Sorry about the late reply. This happens because to view the user's email account from the Admin, a session is created, essentially logging in the admin as that user.

Here's a problem I have with the way it's currently working...

I have a user who I know is receiving spam mail. What I want to do is check some of the messages they are receiving, so that I can then enter them into the admin back end and block the spam going to anyone else (including that user) who is on my service.

With the way it currently is working, if I log in as admin, click into a users mailbox and read one of those messages, it will mark that message as read the next time the "user" logs in - but they haven't read it, I have.

In the case of an administrator, it would be good if all of our actions were heard, but not seen. I can see a mountain of emails explaining we're not snooping, we're just trying to stop the spam.

Can you see the potential problem?

Regan.

Last edited by:

ryel01: May 8, 2002, 10:09 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] Statistics & Admin Access Suggestion In reply to
In Reply To:

With the way it currently is working, if I log in as admin, click into a users mailbox and read one of those messages, it will mark that message as read the next time the "user" logs in - but they haven't read it, I have.

In the case of an administrator, it would be good if all of our actions were heard, but not seen. I can see a mountain of emails explaining we're not snooping, we're just trying to stop the spam.

Can you see the potential problem?

Regan.

Funny enough, I had similar problems, but did not post due to some reasons.

The way I solved it was to log-in as that user with the visible password and then mark the messages as unread, an option available only as that user unfortunately.

Couple of times those admin area did not span correctly in certain conditions of attachments. In those areas there are some maybe bugs.

Last edited by:

rajani: May 9, 2002, 2:21 AM