Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Set correct from header

Quote Reply
Set correct from header
Hi

When sending out email from my server, wrong From adress is used. This causes large amount of auto-reply messages because some auto-responders and spam-filters seems to look at the header fields and ignoring the Reply-to fields. Also error messages sent back to the sender is not getting to the rigth place.

Is it a way to solve this ?

From afire@master. Tue May 18 13:18:43 2004
Return-path: afire@master.
Envelope-to: anemailATatdomain.no
Delivery-date: Tue, 18 May 2004 13:18:43 +0200
Received: from afire by master. with local-bsmtp (Exim 4.34)
id 1BQ2cL-0006Ny-78
for aemailaddress; Tue, 18 May 2004 13:18:43 +0200
Received: from afire by master. with local (Exim 4.34)
Quote Reply
Re: [areh] Set correct from header In reply to
Is this happening for all emails being sent out?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Set correct from header In reply to
Hi Adrian.

Post reading this thread i checked on my install (incidentally it seems that areh is also on Exim at lest from the headers as evident).

Observation in my case is for AR messages. The from address as shown in the logfile when the messages are sent is taken as:

useroutgoing.pl@fqdn

useroutgoing.pl is the username under which outgoing.pl is running
fqdn is xxxx.domain (ie the complete servername). I have not really checked what the headers are for such cases as i don't have any AR message in my account. The above is from logfile...

Thanks
Anup
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Is this happening for all emails being sent out?

I have gotten help from one of you to fix this by changing outgoing.pl. So now I do not get 900MB of rejected mails to the default system account afire@domain.

But for some reason, I do now get many rejected mails to my emailaddress set in admin area instead.

Yes, all mails looked like that. I run a cpanel server, and itīs behavior is like that it seems.
Quote Reply
If you send me ssh and admin access again, I can take a look at it.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Thanks !

Sent it now.
Quote Reply
I believe it's the way your exim is configured. Read this: http://www.exim.org/...doc/html/spec_5.html. Specifically, 5.2 on trusted users and the section describing the -f option.

Gossamer Mail uses the -f option to correctly set the Return-Path header of the email. Your exim installation isn't allowing this and thus making it your shell login afire@master.xxx The result of this is that any mail sent out by your users that bounces will likely be returned to your afire@master.xxx account instead of the gossamer mail user.

I've never used Exim, but from the documentation, it sounds like one way to fix this is to add your afire user to the trusted_users list in the exim configuration.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Thanks !

Now I get correct header. Hopefully, my mailbox will be much more empty from now on :)