Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

German gmx.de

Quote Reply
German gmx.de
In germany GMX offers since some days/weeks an ssl-port for pop3 to fetch mail not as plain text anymore.
Any thoughts to do this with gosmail?

Robert

Quote Reply
Re: German gmx.de In reply to
Hi Robert,

Hmm, can you explain this a little more? Do you mean you want Gossamer Mail to check remote mail accounts using SSL? Or do you mean it should have the option to use SSL when making any POP connection? Or something else?

I don't imagine it would be too hard to add that in. It would just be a matter of using the Net::SSLeay module and having the proper ssl libraries. However I doubt we could bundle it that way, but probably provide instructions on how to add it in.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
I dont know the details or words to say it in english :-(

I will try it so:
If i normally get my mail from pop everyone could read it with a little work; if i get inside ssl on another port, it should be a harder to do that. (I know that between the servers on net, its easy to get mail, but i think people would try it before my door and not everywhere in net.)

I think you cant bundle the Net::SSLeay as you say, but instructions, how to di tat would be great (some words for the Links-Update, too :-(

Robert

Quote Reply
I understand. There's two things you need to consider about how your mail is handled and who might be able to see it:

1. In incoming.pl or webmail.cgi, the program will connect to a pop box, and retrieve your mail to be stored on the server. If your pop box is on a remote machine, then someone could intercept it there (this is advanced stuff though, and all email suffers from this). If the pop box is on the same machine as the scripts, then it never goes onto the internet.

2. When you log in to Gossamer Mail and view your mail, that information is transferred from the web server to your computer, and people could view it in between.

Now, the solution for 2 is easy. Just use a SSL server, i.e. go to:

https://yoursite.com/cgi-bin/webmail.cgi

to view your mail and all information transferred in between would be encrypted.

The solution to 1 is more difficult and would require setting something up on the remote server as well as on the web server. Most people seem to have the pop box on the local machine, so I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Hope that helps,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.