Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Address Book Related Utility

Quote Reply
Address Book Related Utility
Hi.

Feature request if this involves major work.

While composing a message, as soon as a user starts typing the email addresses, a pop up window opens containing all the *hints* of email addresses matching the partly completed email addresses so that if a user desires he can just click on one of the addresses listed in the popup window and that address is included in the Recepient (To/CC/Bcc wherever the user was typing the address).

This feature has comeup on Yahoo but requires downloading something.
It has also comeup on indiatimes where no downloads are needed.

Comments Please.

TIA
Anup
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] Address Book Related Utility In reply to
Where abouts is this on the indiatimes email?

I think this may be possible with some javascript and some CSS to do overlaying. It'd be bit of work though, but it'd be purely a template thing.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Address Book Related Utility In reply to
Hi.

indiatimes i really do not like the stuff primarily coz of 2 reasons:

(1) They have "Beta" warnings sprayed all over their service pretty liberally. Sounds bad. Possibly the company wants their paid subscribers to fund further growth. That's a bit unprofessional. I tried delivering a mail to an account with 6 MB free space. The mail returned back after hours of attempting, saying that mailbox is full .... lololol .... Well a user can't do much when it's a *Free Email* service Wink

(2) There, once a user starts typing the email address, the addressbook included in the compose template (god knows if they have a template), the thing that happens is pretty much the same as what happens in GM AddressBook Search. On clicking on a highlighted address, the same gets included in the recepients list (Wherever the cursor was).

As you said it does involve lot of java and css. but being purely template based, it leaves the GM core untouched. So in case the same could be put in place for GM also, it would be a feature included indeed.

I can just handle templates bit only....
Quote Reply
Hi Adrian.

Is this planned in future release?

Thanks
Anup
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] Address Book Related Utility In reply to
We're working on this one right now, so it should be included in the next release.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hi Adrian.

It woud be a really nice inclusion. I would go in for upgrade whenever the next release is out with the same (currently i am on 2.2.0)

Also, just in case it could be done ... "Save Email" link in msgs_body.htm which allows the email with complete headers (all in txt form) to be saved to disk much in the same way as it is there in IMP Horde. I know i could be expecting too much but it's purely the "Features" which would let GM stand out as compared to "Run Of The Mill" type of softwares :-)

I am not too sure if certain exlcsuions from the new HTML editor have been brought back in...

Thanks

Anup

Last edited by:

anup123: Jun 2, 2004, 11:38 PM