Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Purge users: messages

Quote Reply
Purge users: messages
Hi,

Just a quick question. Does the Purge user command delete attached email and attachments? Cause I got a lot of users I am deleting now.

Regards,
Are

Quote Reply
Re: Purge users: messages In reply to
Hi,

Yes, purging users will remove all users email and all their attachments.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hello!

And it will delete all the users that you do not want to also, like it did in my case!!!

I advise you *NOT* to use it, or atleast make a back-up of your database.

Even if you "did make" a back-up by dumping, you shall have terrible headaches to recover. Since GMail is lacking the most important function of back-up.

Purging users basically brings the entire database in disharmony. I have tested and seen this LIVE!!!

Rajani
Quote Reply
This is slightly alarming rajani!? Really?

I haven't done it "yet". Could you tell me what version you were using when that happened?

Can anyone at GT confirm if this is a bug, and if so with which versions?

Cheers,
R.

Quote Reply
Hello!

Version 2.0.2

version 2.0.3 has futher changes in the templates. I am kind of tired of all this updates and constantly having to update the templates. The updates are ofcourse in the interest of users, but every update brings lots of bugs and even the packages information is missed out.

I wanted to detelete four users and it has now deleted six hundred and seventy two users from the database.

I have no backup of the database.

This purge users is all bullshit and I am very angry.

Rajani
Quote Reply
Hi,

We are very confident purge users works as described. If you are purging a large amount of users though (> 1000), it's best to do it from shell, as you don't want to worry about any browser time out issues (as it has to clean up all messages, etc).

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hello Alex!

Do you think I am joking?

What it has done to my database is that it has wiped out x number mentioned above from the dgraph table. User table is not erased. Hence, thank god that the users could login and get their messages, but when they login, they get on their first page error dgraph not found.

There was nothing else done before and after except the purge users. I calculated the day I installed and on that day, there were four users that had registered and who did not log-in since then. Purge users showd this users and I clicked on delete. Then there was never ever any message that it had deleted those four and it went on and on. I clicked on stop function of the browser. I had a bad feeling that something was fishy. I immediately loged in with a test user name created by myself on the first day and saw that I could login but it gave error on the login page saying the standard error from demographics that it did not find the name in there!!!

I traced that those six hundred users demographics where deleted from damn table. The fact shall remain regadless of your confidence that it did wipe out the user demographics of six hundred users sequencially, and not randomly.

The number I calculated by phpmyadmin looking at the demographics table and users table. Earlier it was the same after I ran consistency.pl earlier when you gave us the first.

However the statistics function from admin and also consistency.pl shows consistently a lie.

Thats how Gmail works.

Sorry, excuse me but if it where any other bug, I would not mind, but any delete function like this I cannot pardon.

Rajani
Quote Reply
Re: [rajani] Purge users: messages In reply to
Shocked So what happened? Did this get fixed?

Diversity by Design
Quote Reply
Re: [diversity] Purge users: messages In reply to
Hi!

No complains from others, so beleive what you can.

I do not want to try it again. Alex did bring out a new version though, which is supposed to have corrected a date bug in the programming. This was the reason why it did not understand the date function and somehow started to delete them all! A server configuration that Alex did not or was not able to take into account for earlier, and as he said it was a rare situation of it. However, after he have had a look into it and made an upgrade, I do beleive that it "may not be" any more. So it may work.

I did not try it out yet, nor I am interested to be the first chicken anymore!!!