Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Beta 4 - Address Book Nickname Question?

Quote Reply
Beta 4 - Address Book Nickname Question?
Hi,

I'm just wondering if there was meant to be another reason for the nickname entry in the address book, apart from having it on record?

I thought it may have been used in the address book for quick reference when a user composes an email, but only their friends 'name' and 'email address' seems to come up at the mo. Also, the field doesn't seem to be searchable for a quick find.

In my opinion I think it would make sense that users can add their friends to a new email by referencing their nicknames (if one is entered) before anything else - seems a bit more natural.

What do you think?

Cheers
R.

Quote Reply
Re: Beta 4 - Address Book Nickname Question? In reply to
Hi,

It isn't terribly obvious but he nickname can be entered in the To field when composing. When sent the nickname will be replaced with that address entries email address. When the user help section is finished it will have something about this but perhaps it should be explained on the address book page.

Cheers,

Scott

Quote Reply
Hi Scott,

Yip, I wouldn't have known that without you telling me. If the nickname could also come up in the address book page it would be good - easier than looking through names, and probably quicker to type.

Cheers
r.

Quote Reply
Hi,

To make the nickname come up in the address listing would be a change in the templates.
You would change:
<%address_select%>
in the addresses.htm template to:
<select name=address_aid size=20>
<%loop address_list%>
<option value="<%address_aid%>"><%address_nickname%></option>
<%endloop%>
</select>

Cheers,

Scott