Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Any Plans To Replace the X-Gmail in headers??

Quote Reply
Any Plans To Replace the X-Gmail in headers??
This stems more from legal concern particualrly with gmail (google) now covering and expanding ground slowly. Are there any plans to replace the X-gmail headers from mail headers so that there are no remotest possibility of any legal complications on license owner?

If yes then when can this be expected.
If "Next Release" is the answer then when can the Next Release be expected?

A definitive confirmed answer would be appreciated on this. We have physically witnessed a guy pay heavy arbitration fees for fighting a case in WIPO for booking/owning and ultimately losing cerelac.com just because Nestle was the primary complainant party.

If your legal advisors have advised that there would be no legal complications of any nature then can tat be made public to license holders? We would not want to be in situation where we are sued or made to clsoe shop just coz the headers have something "similar" sounding and looking viz "Gmail" in headers. A case like Windows Vs Lindows. Who Knows?

I am putting this much ahead of any visible waves so that the same does not come about to be in category of "Custom Work" if need be.

HyTC
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] Any Plans To Replace the X-Gmail in headers?? In reply to
Trademarks for names are based on first use and we have prior use of the name gmail, hence the legality of our use is not an issue.

Jack.
Quote Reply
Re: [Jack] Any Plans To Replace the X-Gmail in headers?? In reply to
gmail trademark is two years old.
x-gmail thing appeared in which version exactly i am not aware as we jumped straight from 2.1.0 to 2.2.0.

Even Adsense Trademark or Patent, I think Google is an assignee
gmail.com again a "commercial first usage" existed even before Google did.

Currently The Market Watch presumably holds the Trademark to gmail
So this needs a deeper look obviously.

HyTC

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Oct 12, 2004, 1:42 PM
Quote Reply
We do have a trademark lawyer working with us on this both in the US and in Canada and have been working on this for many months now.

Jack.
Quote Reply
My concern comes from following patent document:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=ptxt&s1=x-gmail&s2=gmail&OS=x-gmail+AND+gmail&RS=x-gmail+AND+gmail

Thanx
HyTC

Quote Reply
The following site shows GMAIL on the following url:

http://www.cencourse.com/pages/855185/index.htm

Between 30th March 2004 and 7th April 2004 the above company is one of the four for TM rights with Google being the fourth in the list. Surely Google wouldn't like to lose that so it would be a deal settlement with Google emerging winner at the end of the day. As license holders however, we would be desiring a clear note from GT on this issue whether x-gmail in header is legally allowed to be transmitted using Gossamer Mail.

HyTC
Quote Reply
This is the oldest "First Use" detail amongst the list Live at USTPO ::

Word Mark GMAIL Goods and Services IC 038. US 100 101 104. G & S: Communications services -- namely, transferring of electronic messages for groups of two or more people by means of a global computer network. FIRST USE: 19980120. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19980120

Standard Characters Claimed

Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK

Serial Number

Filing Date
April 2, 2004

Owner
(APPLICANT) Precision Research, Inc. CORPORATION CALIFORNIA 1211 Bajada Santa Barbara CALIFORNIA 93109

Attorney of Record
Kyle W. Rost

HyTC

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Oct 12, 2004, 4:10 PM
Quote Reply
Hi Anup,

Thanks for the information, we're been aware of it for some time now.

An official announcement will be posted when more information is available, at this time, we will not post legal advice on the forum until our lawyers provide us with factual information that we can disseminate to our users. No further posts will be made by us to this thread.

Jack.
Quote Reply
Sorry I am not Anup
Me And Anup Are Like Alex And You

HyTC

[EDIT]
Incidently, He also had asked the same question much before the rush to USPTO with 700$ (or roundabouts) in hand ended on the following thread which started and ended with the query

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=264699

[/EDIT]

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Oct 12, 2004, 4:28 PM
Quote Reply
Don't you know Jack and I are the same person? Wink

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Any Plans To Replace the X-Gmail in headers?? In reply to
Oh Yeah From Organization point of view :D

HyTC
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Any Plans To Replace the X-Gmail in headers?? In reply to
Hey Alex,

Quote Unquote from Webmaster of vcstudios (Just the relevant part)

Quote:
As my first project with GT, I was given the heavy task of redesigning their corporate website. This was my first corporate site design, and I was given almost complete freedom to be creative and design. Although Jack and Alex (my supervisors) gave me some vague ideas of what they wanted to see for the site,

I have just boldened the "and"
So my knowledge definitely was not mislead on any presumptions :=)

HyTC

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
==================================

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Oct 12, 2004, 10:29 PM