Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
wwwthreads
Looks like WWWThreads is running links Wink

does that mean Gossamer-Threads will soon be running WWWThreads ??

<G>

Quote Reply
Re: wwwthreads In reply to
i wish.. cause this version of ubb has major y2k bugs.. the cookies don't work anymore

------------------
Jerry Su
Links SQL User
------------------
Quote Reply
Just wondering, which is the best bulletin board to purchase? wwwthreads or should I go with freeware like phorums?

What are your opinions?

Kevin
Quote Reply
Check back in the past week -- I posted my own feelings on a number of SQL backed add ons and add-ins ... forum, ads, etc software.

After looking around, I feel for a "professional" and/or "commercial" site, whatever term you prefer, the features and advantages of wwwThreads put it at least a step or two above Phorum. There is also Sporum (perl based, not PHP based). Again, I chose the $200 for wwwThreads after 3+ months of looking around, and checking out code, and features, etc.

That's my opinion ... and I don't officially endorse anything ... I do hope that there is ALWAYS a choice ... and the 3 contenders were (IMHO) Phorum, Sporum and wwwThreads. I chose wwwThreads....

If you are going PHP, and want to use more PHP, then go with Phorum. If you want open-source, free code, go with Sporum.

Otherwise, since you plopped down $450 for LinkSQL, I think I put wwwThreads into that class, which is why I went with it.

I did try a few others, and originally ran UBB-free ... I just didn't like them.

For a pretty complete list -- check out cgi-resources.com and of course phpwizard.net

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
We are trying to develop our own forum - have a look at = http://pub6.ezboard.com/bopentopicalternatives = There is a group of us there working on it.

------------------
Michael Bray
Review your webhost or find a new one.
www.webhostarea.com
Links SQL User
------------------

Quote Reply
Very nice, Michael...I like the advanced search options. In terms of design and layout...they are less to be desired. But in terms of functionality...very nice.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Eliot,

Thats not it Smile - Thats the forum were we are discussin building it Smile.

We are developing it in PHP, and it will use a MySQL backend which will be easy to modify to a user database on Links when I finished Wink

------------------
Michael Bray
Review your webhost or find a new one.
www.webhostarea.com
Links SQL User
------------------

Quote Reply
WWWThreads is definately VERY NICE...
It took me about 2 hours to configure it and modify it & Links so they use the same Users table, this accomplishes soo much in terms of functionality for User personalization and considering I am currently using the Free version it even can use Links to build your categories...these two programs are almost seemless...with a few very minor changes/additions to Links.pm and DBSQL.pm you can replace the calls in threads to point to those instead...

HINT: use symlinks so you don't have to go through every filename renaming the calls from w3T::connect() to Links::connect()

I am very disappointed, now, that I recently bought a license for UBB.....anyone wanna buy my license, 25% off? I'll have to check with WWWThreads to see if they offer a better deal for switching over to their software....