Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

user.cgi (needed feature)

Quote Reply
user.cgi (needed feature)
anyone know what exactly is done when you select remember my username and password on other sites? Links SQL is not the same because of the Session thing..

how can we do it with sessions? and perhaps not saving the users password in plain text in a cookie like UBB Smile

jerry
Quote Reply
Re: user.cgi (needed feature) In reply to
i don't know.. Smile

jerry
Quote Reply
You've pretty much got it. Normally they store the person's username and passwords (sometimes encrypted, other times not) in one or more cookies. Then when you go to the page, the program checks if you have a session id, if not, check if you have the other two cookies. If you do, check the other cookies and log the person in.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
But what is the "payoff" for trying to crack someones log-in cookie?

Quote Reply
sites can do different things. Have you looked at the CGI.pm cookies docs?

Most sites that "remember" you save a cookie on your machine with an identification. There are complicated ways to make sure the identification and session and computer information is the same.

Some stores the information in your cookie, others encrypts it, and use that encrypted value to allow you to get in.

I think the reason for the "remember me" box is because the state information is saved at least in part to a cookie, and you make the user ask for you to do it.

Sessions can expire, but identification usually doesn't. If you don't expire sessions, you eventually eat up all your free storage Smile

Quote Reply
if no one knows how they do it.. i'm just gonna go for this..

whenever the user comes by.. if no session.. check for remember me cookie.. if true get password (which is encrypted in the remember me cookie using perl's encrypt) compare to encrypted mysql user's password.. if match.. create session..

i don't feel safe using encrypt though.. all those unix password crackers out there Smile

jerry
Quote Reply
cool! i'll work on this sometime soon.. maybe now.. first i wanna reply to some of these threads.. some are actually interesting.. Smile

jerry
Quote Reply
For the lull time of year between X-mas and New Years, this forum is HOT Smile

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/