Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

tmp/mysql.sock

Quote Reply
tmp/mysql.sock
I seem to have deleted this file. Does anyone have any idea to restore it to get my mysql working again? I rebooted the server and now it isn't working.

Alex??
Quote Reply
Re: tmp/mysql.sock In reply to
I don't know if that is library file, or one that is compiled when you install the system. If you have the source, just recompile it. Otherwise, just re-install it. It shouldn't affect any of your data files (but just to be sure, make a copy of your data directory).

I think I've recompiled it at least once without any problems.
Quote Reply
The sock file should be created each time mysql is started. Did you run safe_mysqld to start it up again after rebooting? You should also make sure that mysql is in your startup so if your server crashes, that mysql starts up automatically.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
So the .sock file is like the lock and pid
files? It's for the current instance, not for for the general install?

I hit a problem early on with MySQL, and without the benefits of much Unix or MySQL experience couldn't figure it out. Reinstalling it fixed it, and I've left it alone since Smile

The data directories are the important ones, and theoretically should be restorable on the same platform.

I know the feeling Unix gives me of flying blind... but lately I've had more of that feeling with Windows because of the 'registry' (what bozo came up with that monster???)

The only stability on that platform comes from using the CD to shim a wobbly piece of furniture.

Quote Reply
Hi. I've tried everything. I even rebooted again and tried to start from scratch. I've emailed Alex to see if he can get the mysql server working again.

I have this error,
DBSQL (1086): Fatal Error: Unable to connect to the SQL server. Reason: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (111) at Links/Admin_HTML.pm line 552

I've basically rebooted the server,
went to the /usr/local/mysql
./configure
make (this return unable to process target)
make install (this returns the same message)
./scripts/mysql_install_db
./bin/safe_mysqld &

I get the above error and I can't login as root.

Anyways, I hope Alex will help me on this one.

Thanks,

Kevin
Quote Reply
My mysql.sock is a zero byte file.

If it's not in your /tmp directory, try creating a a file:

touch mysql.sock file and set the permissions to allow your mysql server to write to it.

Maybe that will work.

I'd do that wit the server shut down -- remove it first, then add it back if it already exists.
Quote Reply
No, mysql.sock is a unix socket file, it's not a regular file. You don't need to touch it to get it to work.

When you see that error message it most likely means Mysql has died or is not even running. Try killing off mysql (using kill and the pid number), and restarting it.

I had a look at the system, and got it running by restarting mysql.

Cheers,

Alex