Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

search with bool 'and' AND 'or'

Quote Reply
search with bool 'and' AND 'or'
Hello all,

I don't get it. Why don't the bools 'and' AND 'or' work when you are searching?

I need to fix this a.s.p. and can't wait for next version.

The code in search.html:
<input type="RADIO" name="bool" value="and" CHECKED> OR connector: <input type="RADIO" name="bool" value="or">

I have try to look it up in search.cgi, but name bool isn't used for the links query:

$link_hits = $linkdb->query ( { query => $query, mh => $mh, nh => $nh, filter => \%filter, ww => $ww } );

In search.pm they are talking about:

# search mode
mode => $SEARCH_MODES{parse},

%SEARCH_MODES = (
and => 0,
or => 1,
# don't bother with substring, if you're going to use that, you might as well use
# parsed string matching
# substring => 2,
phrase => 3,
parse => 4
);

Why isn't this working ? It's a important function for searching and i really need to fix it in this version.

If any has fixed it pleaze tell else i demand Smile GS to fix it in this stable version.

Allready thanks.

Regards Startpoint.

Quote Reply
Re: search with bool 'and' AND 'or' In reply to
Have you read the many Threads about this error in this forum? It seems to bug in the Search.pm file.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Have you read the many Threads about this error in this forum? It seems to bug in the Search.pm file.

Yes i did, but i want a solution in version 1.11. I 'll ask GS, they have to fix this.

Regards Startpoint.

Quote Reply
It's a problem in the logic of the module that was not caught until after release.

The only way around it is to use the +/- syntax.

If you really want to use the AND OR syntax, write a routine for the search.cgi that takes the status of the radio check button and prepends a + to each of the terms if "AND" is checked.

Unfortunately, "demanding" something isn't going to make it happen, and all these problems were discussed, and listed here in the forum months, and months ago.

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
Thanks Pugdog for the reply!

In Reply To:
Unfortunately, "demanding" something isn't going to make it happen
Well you are right, but something like this is really 'said', the search option is real importent for SQLlinks. And for a program that's is so long called 'stable' you can expect such function is working! Else you have to report it as a company that there is a problem with it before selling it. Let's say you buy a car from me, and i tell you the cars is looking good and is in good 'shape' but you can't testdrive it. All are telling you to buy it, because they have a good experiences with me. You buy the car from me i give you the keys. You try to drive away. Eh.. it won't start ? Yeah i didn't tell you there was no enigne in it !

Eh, how do you reject ?

Regards Startpoint.

Quote Reply
All of this was in the forum. None of this is "new" problems.

You will find that other programs have other problems.

No program is bug-free, complete, or 100% everything you want.

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
Pugdog,

Sure no program in 100% bug-free. But in my opion a vitale option as this,
have to be working. But this isn't solving our problem...... bah :)... forget it...
============================ skip ----------------------------------->

Let's start to figure out what is working good ok ?

You are talking about + and - to use? Eh.. how will the url with search.cgi looks like ?

You mean something like:

searchi.cgi?query=keyword1+keyword2 is AND
search.cgi?query=keyword1-keyword2 is OR ?

Can you explain to me what is working ?
And how or when to use the substring parameter ?
Isn't the bool parameter working at all ?
What about the search_modes in searches.pm ?

Allready thanks.

Startpoint.