Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

pre-compiled or cached searches

Quote Reply
pre-compiled or cached searches
My brain may not have turned on yet... but is there an easy way to do pre-compiled searches?

I'd like to set up a page with the suggested searches in links (taking the top 50 or so plus things people haven't thought of) and pre-compile them so that they are like the category pages, and don't burn cpu time.

A cache system would be the most elegant, but even a sub-system that would regenerate them every 24 hours would be great (my site doesn't change much more often than that... I add links once a day, basically).

I was looking at alex's Time:HiRes left over, and in one search alone I use about 5 hours of time a day... that could be cut significantly with pre-compiled or cached searches.

Quote Reply
Re: pre-compiled or cached searches In reply to
There is a fine script that do searching tru html-pages and save the words inside to an index. It is thinkable to do this with the pages in links, too.
The prob so far, i used this script, is that it takes so much time running tru all the sides.
You will find it at

http://bignosebird.com/carchive/search2.shtml

Rob
Quote Reply
Well, you could write a little script that would do something like:

Code:
use LWP::Simple;
use CGI ();
my $in = new CGI;
my @terms = qw/a list of search words/;
foreach my $term (@terms) {
$term_q = $in->escape ($term);
my $output = get ("http://www.yoursite.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?query=$term_q");
open (FILE, "> /path/to/save/$term.html");
print FILE $output;
close FILE;
}

and what that would do is run search.cgi for each of the words you want, and save the output to a file. Then you just create the links manually somewhere to where the output was saved.

Hope that helps,

Alex
Quote Reply
Still the same problem as mentioned about the LWP thing. I have dowload all these modules, but i still donīt know, where to put them at my server and how to get them.
As i know i must do:

(from parent Dir of this file)
use nextDir::nextDir::LWP::UserAgent

so this script use the UserAgent.pm in nextDir/nextDir/LWP

but this UserAgent wants:
use HTTP::another.pm
and this one would have another;

So is it the solution to throw all the .pms in one Dir and change all the use x::x::x
to this Dir ???

How can i say 'go one Dir up'. so i can still left all .pms in libs/theme_x
(libs/HTTP, libs/LWP and so on)

e.g. use ../HTTP::

I cant beieve the programmers of these libs have not thought of this problems, so there must be a way to tell the .pms the dir-structure, isnīt it so? Or was the theorie to get all .pms , you need for a problem and write the pathes new?

Please help me on this, i think its very important for my learning perl to use so many libs as possible.

And very important, too:
If i get the libs, there was different texts, saying i must 'make' my perl new.

As i understand right: i could implement these libs to my perl with a new make and!!! i can use these libs by calling them from file. Is this right? If not, noone could write a script with these libs for using everywhere, cause all users must make a 'make' to there perl.

But if i made a 'make', can i left the .pms then?

Itīs horrible, please drop my some help.
Robert

Quote Reply
The easiest way to install modules is to use CPAN. Assuming you have root access to the machine, all you do is type:

perl -MCPAN -e shell

then you go through some initial setup about your system, you can except the default for almost everything.

Then just type:

install Bundle::libnet

and it will install LWP plus all required modules into the appropriate place.

Cheers,

Alex