Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

npb-build.cgi in crontab and executed webbased

Quote Reply
npb-build.cgi in crontab and executed webbased
Hello all,

I have some problem with the build process, error file access denied.

Well i start nph-build.cgi and nph-index.cgi in crontab at 23:00 everyday.

But if i enter a few new links i sometimes wanna start nph-build.cgi webbased. Then some detailed file(s) get access denied.

I quess it because if i enter a new link and let crontab do the work it will make the file as owner root.

Question:
How to solve this problem so i can build it with crontab and webbased without file access denied ?

Allready thanks.

Regards Startpoint.

Quote Reply
Re: npb-build.cgi in crontab and executed webbased In reply to
Oops...I guess you missed the following Thread:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...&vc=1#Post103948

I used cron for the keyword in the forum search form and low and behold...the above Thread appeared.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Hmmm i send a reply yesterday but somehow it's lost in space ?:)

Well thanks Eliot for pointing me there. I did a search for about 1/2 hour yesterday and did know there was some info. Also i did a search on cron, doh why didn't i find it ?

Well anyway i read the forum yesterday and wanna get it clean:

If i change a directory's with chmod -R 777 dirname as root will i not get problems if the are new detailed pages ? Or because i change to directory with chmod -R 777 dirname the new detailed pages will automatisch get the right owner ?

I sometimes use webbased and sometimes let cron (as root) do the building. So detailed pages will created be root or no owner.

Allready thanks.

Regards Startpoint.

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
If i change a directory's with chmod -R 777 dirname as root will i not get problems if the are new detailed pages ? Or because i change to directory with chmod -R 777 dirname the new detailed pages will automatisch get the right owner ?
Okay...to re-iterate...do the following:

1) Change permissions of your home page directory and all the other Links pages (Cool, Detailed, New, Ratings) to 777 - (drwxrwxrwx).

2) Then BUILD your index via telnet to get the correct owner of the files and directories.

3) Then you should be able to build by both via your web browser and telnet.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Thanks Eliot.

It's work now... had to excute the cron as a user and not as root...

Regards Startpoint.