Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

new forum :)

Quote Reply
new forum :)
It will take a little bit to get used to, but I _really_ wish my copy of wwwThreads looked like this!

I will also be able to move the FAQ area back to just the FAQ, since the index/search features of this forum are much, much better!

If I miss a question or post, I probably haven't gotten used to the new forum.

The new spelling feaure will be great! (it should be a bit smarter, but that's wwwThreads).

Quote Reply
Re: new forum :) In reply to
=) That was my main complaint with wwwthreads. It's definately not trivial to change either as the html is spread all over the place. I do think it turned out nice though. The main thing is to be sure to edit your profile. You can customize it quite a bit, everything from using threaded vs flat views, to setting the default font, to setting the width x height of the textarea box.

And hopefully, we can finally use Links::DBSQL again, no more smileys. =)

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
>> And hopefully, we can finally use Links::DBSQL again, no more smileys. =)

_THAT_ alone was worth the time and effort :)

Quote Reply
geez.. both anthro and pugdog are online.. :)

the allowing different formats is great.. although i still think the headers are way too big..

i'm just dying to see Gossamer Mail also! :)

<b>Jerry Su</b>
<a href="mailto:email@jerrysu.com">email@jerrysu.com</a>
Quote Reply
i guess by markup they meant their markup.. i thought they meant HTML :)

ok.. anyways.. time to do homework

Jerry Su
email@jerrysu.com
http://www.jerrysu.com/
Quote Reply
Whoa... until now I thought that UBB had the "unchallenged" best discussion board on the net. I've never seen a cooler BBS on the net!

A question to all those who can answer. wwwthreads runs a dynamic process everytime that someone views a post. Wouldn't it be more efficient to use UBB's static type output? Static will always be faster than dynamic correct? What can the static file not "do" besides cache bust?

Quote Reply
And the answer is ... (after thinking about it for one minute) the ability to have different display formats for different profiles....

That's probably the coolest feature of this bulletin board.

Quote Reply
it's mysql.. so it'll return much faster and take less bandwidth.. UBB doesn't use mysql so if you tried using dynamic pages you'd lose bandwidth faster

Jerry Su
email@jerrysu.com
http://www.jerrysu.com/
Quote Reply
Take a look at the user profile options, as well as the options to search, and see all YOUR Posts :)

These are things a relational DBMS can do, that flat files just can't.

While there are (were) advantages to the flat file format at first (it allowed a web server to imitate a BBS like WildCat) the new MySQL backed sites allow much more flexibility.

Servers are more powerful, bandwidth costs have come down, CPU costs are down, and RAM is _way_ down (anyone remember paying $250 for a 64K chip set??) (or about $400 to upgrade a 4k TRS-80 model I Level I to a 16K Level II <G>)

The reason for this is OPEN SOURCE products like MySQL, Perl, and all the others. I'm not knocking a good commercial product... but there are few of them, and most of these good commercial products have been built on the backs of the good OPEN SOURCE products .... and _most_ of the better commercial ones have a "free" version available under an open or partially restricted license.

I chose WWWThreads over all the others after trying them all out. It's not perfect, but of the various choices, for Links users, and Perl users, and site integration, it was the best choice. (If you ran a PHP based site, maybe Phorum would be better.... ?).

Quote Reply
It would be cool if it told you the amount of replies on the right hand side of each thread.