Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

need help AV Template

Quote Reply
need help AV Template
I am working with the av template and I notice that when you create a category and you go to the index page of that cat in the middle of the page it says (banner goes here)

Where can you edit that and put your banner code in so you can have a banner there,

Without editing every single page.
and example of what I mean is here http://216.55.5.34/pages/Automobiles/

Quote Reply
Re: need help AV Template In reply to
you can't.

That is just a place holder to show where a banner can go.

If you check the FAQ you'll see several different ways of using <%include%> files to allow changing banners, and other ways.

If you decide on the tag you want to use, then change that message to a tag, you can give them a lot of flexibility.

There was also a discussion on how to create a couple of hashes and/or arrays to pass data to each of the template build routines, so you could use a much smaller number of templates, yet still get so much flexibility.

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
Pugdog
Thanks for the input But I have found that if you edit the header.text you can insert the code from webadverts directly into the header.text template where the (banner goes Here) and it worked fine on all pages but I decided not to use the banner there and just put some external hyperlinks to other parts of the site

Michael
Quote Reply
That's the same idea, but the "advertising goes here" wasn't in the header.txt file, was it?

It's not in the Yahoo or Snap template sets I've been using. It's in the category file itself.

Quote:
webadverts directly into the header.text template where the (banner goes Here) and it worked fine on all pages

If you do that, you still need to ensure some form of ID on each page. On category pages you can use the CategoryID (it would then allow for targeting ads) On other pages, that may not be available, so you'd have to use another ID such as <%random1%>.

I'm not too familiar with WebAverts, but I did try them, and they couldn't do what I needed. These banner/advertising discussions have occured over a long time, and there is a lot of reference material here on different ideas, plans and solutions.

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
Pugdog,
Yes it is in the header.txt on av templates
I was look at and modifing the header.text and there it was at the bottom of the page.
Thanks for the tip on using the <%random1%>.
I see what you mean,need to display more than one set,different banner in different Catagories I will research that
and find the best solution

Thanks for your time
Michael