Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

match any in admin.cgi

Quote Reply
match any in admin.cgi
Is any one else having problems with the match any search function in admin.cgi?

What's happening to me is related to the categories. It appears that if I select a category (which is actually a number) The match any search option grabs any categories that contain the number of the category I'm searching. So if I'm looking for hardware and the CategoryID is 2, and if I have a category called Software where the CategoryID is 62, both of them will come up. However, if I have a category called hardware/monitors with CategoryID of 3, that won't come up.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Does anyone know how to do a match any search on a category so that the subcategory items come up as well?

Peace.

Kyle
Quote Reply
Re: match any in admin.cgi In reply to

Quote:
Does anyone know how to do a match any search on a category so that the subcategory items come up as well?
I've noticed that, too. Links SQL appears to just search the category that has been selected. I'd say it's a toss up which way is preferable (would be nice to be able to select it, though), but it confused me at first.

Dan
Quote Reply
Hey fella's...

Yes you can get sub categories added in to your search as well, there is a check box just above the keyword input box. One says "Match Any" the other (checked by defaulted) says "Whole Words" you just gotta scroll down to that before you press submit, selecting the "Match Any" and deselecting the "Whole Words"...
Quote Reply
Yeah, but this is a separate issue from that. The search only searches the Link table, and since the category in the Link table is actually a number instead of a word, the match any will actually search for any of those numbers, ie. 2 and 62 regardless of what category they actually are. Read my first post above. That explains what happens more specifically.

Has anyone come up with a work around for this? If nothing else, if someone could suggest where to begin that would be helpful. I've been thinking about it and haven't been able to figure out the logic to make it happen.

Thanks again.

Kyle
Quote Reply
I see the problem, however, there isn't an easy fix unfortunately. The category name is not attached to the links table, so it can't use it in any search, only the id number.

I've been thinking of expanding the admin to not make it so generalized, and have some custom search forms/search results designed specifically with the relationships between the tables in mind.

Cheers,

Alex