Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

layouts dynamically or not?

Quote Reply
layouts dynamically or not?
Hello, it's me again (second posting:) wow starting to learn it eh.

Well we are gonna make a site with different layouts (about 5) that uses the same database.

How to handle that?

- layouts dynamically

- or by a other option ??

If our site is using the layouts dynamically and it's going to be visit by about 50 till 300 peole at the 'same' time do we need a dedicated server or just virtual ? Or is there a other option?

Allready thanks again.

The dutch Startpoint.

Quote Reply
Re: layouts dynamically or not? In reply to
Depends on how much disk space and CPU you have...If you are on a dedicated server with tons of disk space and CPU, then you can use five copies of the template files and then build the directory five times with different template files.

If you don't, then use the page.cgi is the better choice.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks for the reply.

You tell my to use page.cgi when i don't have enough 'horse-power'. I though only use page.cgi when you have a dedicated server (horse-power :)) ? Pleaze help me out.

Is there a probleem when i have about 1500 links with article's in 1 category ? What is the best solutions when you having many article's in 1 category ? Build pages or use page.cgi ? And what server do we need dedicated or virtual ?

Allready thanks again.

Quote Reply
This is a complicated question. But, it seems I would not attempt this on a shared server. You will be running scripts a significant portion of the time, and 300 people using the server at a time will impose a large load as well.

The more you try to generate dynamically, the more you will need additional horsepower.

Also, running 5 sites with one database, but different looks might be stepping on the licensing agreement a little. You'd need to clarify that with GT. The templates are really for allowing people to customize their window on your site, rather than building different sites. For instance, a high and low bandwidth version of the site.

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/