Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

What command needed to run nph-verify.cgi in Telnet?

Quote Reply
What command needed to run nph-verify.cgi in Telnet?
Can anyone tell me what command I need to execute in Telnet if I want to verify everything. Thank you.

Leslie
Quote Reply
Re: What command needed to run nph-verify.cgi in Telnet? In reply to
Hi,

First, cd to your admin directory then type:

./nph-verify.cgi --check_all

and it will go ahead and start checking all links.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply

Code:
Can't locate Links.pm in @INC
(@INC contains:
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00502/irix-n32-mips3
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00502
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/irix-n32-mips3
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005 .)

at /www11/web/enoteb/cgi-local/links/admin/nph-verify.cgi line 31.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /www11/web/enoteb/cgi-local/links/admin/nph-verify.cgi line 31.
When I try to run it from the administration control panel, it runs fine when I check one link at a time. When I try to check all links I get a short series of
Code:
Spawning child...,
Spawning child...,
Spawning child...,
and then the process seems to quit.
I don't have a telnet access to my account which makes it very difficult to track what happens. Any idea?

[This message has been edited by sstreams (edited April 21, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Probably what happened is after it spawned the processes, your ISP's daemon saw it as a run-away program, and killed it.

On virtual and shared accounts, high-end, cpu-intensive and multi-threaded (real or pseudo) processes are often killed as soon as they start.

Before driving yourself crazy, you might want to ask your ISP if that is the problem. Point them to the script. They can run it, and watch if their daemons kill it. If so, there's probably nothing you can do but switch hosts.

It's been said here time and again, that while many ISP's are now offering MySQL to their customers, programs such as Links (or any high-volume catalog) will cause problems.

Perhaps a comparason -- there was a discussion here on the Raq servers. The company making them says they can host 200 websites.... I couldn't put http://www.postcards.com on one all to itself.

ISP's count on a customer _not_ using any resources -- except email and maybe some bandwidth (the less the better).

If you are hosting a high-end or high-volume site, you almost always have to move to a dedicated server.

Quote Reply
To make it work via cron, try adding:

use lib '/full/path/to/admin';

before any other use statement in nph-verify.cgi.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Thanks for your reply. Here is the reply I got from tech support. I have a number of questions regarding dedicated server configuration but I will open a new thread for this.
Quote:
Hello,

Thank you for contacting technical support.

I apologize for any inconvenience you have been experiencing. Your script appears to be running wild and rampid and is over using the processor of the server and that is why the process is being killed.

FAQ:http://www.hiway.com/support/

Thank you,

Dennis
Technical Support Representative
Quote Reply
"rampid"

Is that a combination of "rampant" and "rabid" ??

<G>