Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Upgrade Question from a novice user.

Quote Reply
Upgrade Question from a novice user.
Hi.
I would just like to know if you need any knowledge in working with MySQL or databases to be able to use and maintain Links SQL?
I know HTML and a little bit of perl, but have never worked with SQL or databases.
Does the admin-area handle all table creations and manipulation?
Also I would like to know if it's possible to keep the links2 fields in links.def and category.def?
Can I keep my templates, or do I have to modify them in any way?
Please tell me cause my Links2 database is soon to big to handle.
Thanks for your time!
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade Question from a novice user. In reply to
We do the install which will ensure your system is all setup properly. This fixes 95% of the troubles you would have (i.e. missing modules, database connection troubles, etc).

Once it's running, you don't need to know any SQL to use the program. You can add/drop fields to your database easily as well as import/export data. There is a setup.cgi which handles creation of tables for you.

You can keep your Links 2 fields as well as your templates.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Hi,

It's probably hard to figure out from all the talk in the forum what the straight answer is. If you are going to set up a new site and grow it from 'scratch' so to speak, you only need to purchase the product (it comes with installation) and customize your templates (which are HTML not perl or SQL).

Alex will set up /install the database for you the first time. Once that is done, especially if you know ahead of time if you need any extra fields, it should all be able to be maintained from the admin page. The management features are getting better with each release, and should add even more useful features (because the SQL database can give back so much information).

To _really_ make things easy, and to be able to get into the database itself without learning SQL, using one of the add on prograsm -- especially the PHP3 program myAdmin. What this program does is let you look at all the MySQL databases, tables and fields, and make changes very easy. It supplements LinkSQL the way a good text editor supplemented Links 2.0.

I don't have a hesitation saying:

Quote:
I would just like to know if you need any knowledge in working with MySQL or databases to be able to use and
maintain Links SQL?

NO! to this, _if_ you let Alex set it up the first time.

If you are doing what many of us are doing -- importing data from other porgrams, upgrading from a very modified Links 2.o site, etc, you'll need to know more about SQL and perl to make it work for you.

If you are setting up a new site, then the program is really ready to go. You edit the configuration file, run the setup.cgi and you are up and running. You then just need to decide on a site layout and 'look and feel' and edit your templates to give you your own image.

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
Thanks for your help and information.

Alex.
If, I say if, I go ahead and buy the SQL version of Links, what is included in the setup?
My Links 2.0 is modified to display images as previews for links and has author, image, homepage and filesize fields in links.def.

Then I use Widgets "detailed pages on the fly" (dynamic display of detailed pages)
Is it possible to get this features with links SQL?
And most important of all, is it included with mods like this in the basic installation? (Can it be done with links SQL?)
If it's not included, is there a possibility to get help from you with the upgrades mentioned above? (and the creation of tables for a small ammount of $$!)

I'm thrilled to know that if I get Links SQL, my database can't get too big. (at least not the next 5 years!)

Sorry I have so many questions, but Links SQL costs some $$ and I'm not Bill Gates Smile
Thanks again for your time.
Quote Reply
Sorry for the extra reply!
Forgot to ask.
My site is on a Communitech.net reseller server. http://www.communitech.net/
Does anyone know if they support the links SQL?
Thanks. Smile
Quote Reply
Communitech do not allow it on there servers, I am just going to wait till I move my site to the new dedicated server before purchasing Links SQL - as I don't wanna get kicked off the server.

If you need any help finding a new host, feel free to email me Smile

------------------
Michael Bray
Review your webhost, or find a new one at http://www.webhostarea.com

Quote Reply
Hi Bruzze,

With the purchase of the program, we will import your Links 2.0 data only (that includes creating whatever custom fields you had in Links 2). It does not include moving any custom modifications you've done to Links SQL.

The on the fly mod should be pretty trivial and can probably be done with page.cgi (there was a thread about this earlier).

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Thanks for your response!

BTW Alex, You didn't tell me if mods can be done by you for extra $$. Smile

To Michael_Bray, About Communitech, They do accept Links SQL.
My site is currently on http://www.nortel.to and they are (as far as I know) a Communitech reseller. I e-mailed their support team and asked them if their system
can handle Links SQL's requirements.
This is what they told me in their response:

Quote:
We support :

1- Perl version 5.00404
2- MySQL 3.23.7
3- DBI and the appropriate DBD modules are loaded
4- LWP is loaded
5- SQL will work under mod_perl

I also told them that I intended to buy the Gossamer-Threads Links SQL. I mean, if they had anything against it, wouldn't they have told me?

Have you got another response from them?
Or maybe they've changed policy regarding Links SQL.
It would be interresting to know.

Good night, time to sleep. (evening here in Sweden!) Smile
/Bruzze
Quote Reply
Bruzze - I read the policy on communitechs site, and they do not allow it Smile - Email communitech and ask if SQL is allowed, cause they did not say if they meant the flat for sql edition.
Quote Reply
And before you ask for a URL - http://www.communitech.net/about/policy.cgi Wink

Save some time.
Quote Reply
Just for the record, I did have a Links SQL customer kicked off Communitech. The site didn't even have any links in it yet! Sigh.

Alex
Quote Reply
I think my question is as closely related to this thread as any...

I'm inching closer and closer to making the jump to Links SQL (the advertising arrangement is still in limbo that would necessitate it). I'm curious about the installation.

Is it required that Alex install Links SQL the first time? I haven't yet worked with MySQL -- I need to upgrade accounts to have access to it -- but I would very much like to be self-sufficient and develop a good feel for the installation. It appears that the readme and FAQ are detailed enough at this point to help me through if I get stuck...

Besides, I can always keep my Links 2 active while setting up Links SQL. I assume Links SQL can build to a temp directory, then be switched to the desired directory when it's ready, through a config file?

Also, if I am able to attempt my own installation, does this affect the cost any? I would think at least some of the Links SQL cost reflects installation...?

Thanks,
Dan
Quote Reply
I installed the program, no problem, really. I was new to MySQL as well.

The install feature is really a selling point for Alex, in that if he didn't offer it, he probably would have far fewer registrations. It's not really part of the price -- it's part of the "support."

Getting it installed and set up the first time is probably worth it, especially if you want your database imported.

Once it's working, it's a lot easier to start to tweak and maintain.

Unless you are impatient, and Alex can't install it for 2-3 days, it's worth waiting the first time. At least that way you know it all works, and the problems you are having are not related to a bad install.

It's not hard, it's just a lot of little things to do, and it's different enough from Links 2.0 that unless you sat and studied what you were doing first (RTFM ... LOL) you are bound to hit problems.

Just my .02

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
Ok, you convinced me. Smile If there are that many potential places to go wrong, I suppose it's not the best "training wheel" installation.

Dan
Quote Reply
i installed Links SQL in under 10 minutes my first try..

but i did have a little MySQL experience before that. (but really.. you don't need to know much about mysql.. unless you are making some mods that require a query..)

and just like pugdog said.. if you started with Links 2.0.. and you're really used to it.. you're going to get a bunch of problems in the very beginning. (coding problems.. if you're a modder..)

------------------
Jerry Su
Links SQL Licensed
------------------
Quote Reply
I'm probably pretty biased, but I do think it is quite easy to setup. When you order, you are free to do the install yourself, and if you run into problems, we will finish it up. Again, if your system meets the requirements, then it is quite easy to install (easier then Links 2 in my opinion).

Where you can run into confusing problems is if a driver isn't installed, or your mysql connection info is wrong, or your dbd driver doesn't match up with your mysql installation, etc, etc. These things are quick for a trained eye to spot and fix, but can cause a lot of frustration otherwise. Wink That's one of the main reasons we setup the program the first time.

Cheers,

Alex