Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

UPGRADE WARNING!!!

Quote Reply
UPGRADE WARNING!!!
Folks --- make a backup of your directory, and any files you copy over... even the files "just" for an upgrade!!

CAUTION WITH THE INSTRUCTION:

- Links.pm : Added 'foreign_char' option.

REMEMBER......

LINKS.PM =====>>>> Links.cfg

If you overwrite it, you need to reset all your defaults!

Quote Reply
Re: UPGRADE WARNING!!! In reply to
Near as I can tell, there were some changes in the ordering of the file (insignificant?) but the main change was:

Code:
# Use foreign characters? This will change how Links SQL builds it's
# category pages, it will use the ID number instead of the Category Name as
# a directory. It also removes some restrictions on searching.
$LINKS{foreign_char} = 0;

Maybe Alex can confirm if that was the only change.

My database compiled without errors after uploading the files listed in UPGRADE.TXT and making the change above.

NOTE: HTML_Templates.pm is the replacement file for the site_html_templates.pl and you need to move your "global" variables and other stuff there. There is a change to the following lines:
Code:
my %globals = (
date => \&get_date,
time => \&get_time,

Code:
my %globals = (
date => \&Links: BSQL::get_date,
time => \&Links: BSQL::get_time,

So, when copying your customizations, don't forget to make that change to your %globals hash.

Quote Reply
Sorry, the upgrade.txt was intended for people upgrading from previous version of Links SQL, not from people upgrading from Links 2.0.

As for Links.pm, yes that is the only new option, and if you are not going to use it, you can even leave Links.pm unchanged.

If you would like to see a diff of any of the files, just ask.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Alex,

It was a reminder for people who started with Links 2.0 that the Links.pm file has all the config info in it like links.cfg does.

You should put that warning in the UPGRADE notice, since copying over that file will kill an installation.

The details Smile