Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Thoughts on popup window on leaving site...

Quote Reply
Thoughts on popup window on leaving site...
I would like to get some from feedback from other people using Links. I'm thinking about implementing a pop up window on a site I'm designing that will open when the person clicks on a link in the directory (and leaves my site). It will probably include a nice thank you message, a link to the rate and review features and maybe a reminder to subscribe to the newsletter, not sure what else yet. It's pretty easy to implement of course, but I was wondering if anyone else was using or not, and what people think visitor's reaction would be to this sort of window. I have also thought alternatively of delaying a popup window for say 60 or 120 seconds, and then opening a small rate this site window... I know pop ups in general have a bad rap on the net, but used properly I really believe they can enhance a person's visit. What do the experts here think?

Jerry

Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on popup window on leaving site... In reply to
I'm not going to comment on this, other than I close all popup windows automatically, and flat-out hate them. They may generate extra revenue for some people, but they cause problems with others.

I'd like to have a 'safe surf' type program that prevents me from visiting sites like Yahoo Geocities and Tripod because of the pop up banners. I don't know why they think they do anything but annoy people. I can safely say I have NEVER clicked on one of those banners, and usually close them reflexively as soon as they open -- not even seeing what's in them. Others I let hide behind the open windows, and close when they pop to the front.

The Xoom and others who have gone to the frame, are less annoying, although visually cluttered. With virtually all browsers handling frames properly, and no reason to link to the internals of a links site (although there are javascript solutions that will alow you to insert the current link into your bookmark file -- check the various javascript sites) frames are a better solution for everyone, IMHO.

Also, the problem with pop-up windows is that they consume a lot of extra resources, and they can cause a windows machine that was barely hanging on to crash. They can also slow down existing processes that are running, but most of all, people DON'T EXPECT THEM ... and that is probably the biggest reason to not use them.

I'm even pretty against the entry pop up window that presents people with choices, information, or a sales pitch, again, because people don't expect pop-up windows, they are concentrating on their main browser window, and that's where they expect content to appear.

Thinking about it, the best sort of exit window would be one similar to what GO does to their search engine. When someone exits the site, insert that link into your framed window, thanking the person for visiting, and giving them the choice to come back, sign up, or exit the frame. Technically more challenging, but much more effective than pop up windows.
Quote Reply
Ditto,
Hate 'em, won't visit sites with them.
Another option you may want to look at is to use one of those floating javascripts and put a small button in the top right or bottom right, say 12x25 pixels that links to what you want. Thats far less obtrusive. The problem with this, is like above, it will lock up some Windows machines that are living on the edge....

Trust in your elders, for they hold the key to life...
Quote Reply
Exit pop-ups stink.