Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

The Open Directory.....

Quote Reply
The Open Directory.....
Has anyone here found a way to import the open direcotyr (dmoz.org) into links sql for searching or have any ideas as to how to do it?

If so, please let me know asap. Thank you!

------------------
Ted Sindzinski
www.infinityinternet.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Open Directory..... In reply to
I wouldn't recommend the entire directory, but there is a Parse_RDF.pl file that's included with Links SQL that will import any subset of links.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
I wasn't planning on using the whole thing or even close. How do I use that file with the open directory? Which versions should I download for use with it?
Quote Reply
You want to download the content.rdf file to your server, and then edit Parse_RDF.pl and set what section of the directory you want to import; 'Top/Business' for example.

The just run Parse_RDF.pl and watch it go.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
[ your comments solved it ]

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by infinity (edited October 28, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Ok, incase anyone is intrested, importing the links went real well. I had to tweak the script a little but other then that, it works great.

My site (www.studentresources.net/sites/) now has all 68,000 plus links from the /Referance/ directory. Just make sure your on a nice server doing this late at night if you try and import anything.

And watch out if your on a sharred server for sure (this is my results for 'ps aux').
Quote:
mysql 1908 34.4 3.9 12844 5040 ? R N 00:00 8:30 /usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir=/ --datadir=/var/lib/my
httpd 1907 55.3 4.2 8616 5408 ? R 00:00 13:41 perl /home/sites/site5/web/cgi-bin/admin/nph-build

Good job Alex. I'm looming foward to 1.1 so add.cgi isn't 2 miles long Wink

P.S. if you want hand or a copy of the rdf file from a faster sever, let me know.

------------------
Ted Sindzinski
www.infinityinternet.com

[This message has been edited by infinity (edited October 29, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Ted,

If you set db_gen_category to 0, then it won't generate category lists for you, you'll need to enter in ID's. In version 1.1 you can enter in category names instead.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Amazing. Thanks again Alex
Quote Reply
Is there any way to do this in the non sql version?