Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Templates.. or

Quote Reply
Templates.. or
Hi!

Just two quick questions...

Is it possible to use the old site_html.pl file when upgrading to LinksSQL ?

And: Would the load be less if using the SQL version...? Eg. if one already has a problem with the server killing the build-script, would it be any better using the SQL version or should one move to a new (and better) server as well ?

Regards

Wilhelm
http://www.radiodirectory.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Templates.. or In reply to
1) The readme says it's templates only at this time.

2) Alex might have some stats, but the build should be faster, so should searches and anything doing CGI calls that access the database.

Quote Reply
Hi,

I dropped site_html.pl as it was hard to implement nicely under mod_perl and use strict. I also think the templates can do just as much in a nicer way.

As for building, it is considerably faster then Links 2.0 for large directories.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply

Thanks for the reply.

Is it possible to use perl code within the templates ?... (Have never touched them before).

Wilhelm Eilertsen
www.radiodirectory.com
Quote Reply
Not as is, but you can use it in the HTML_Template.pm file (equivalant to site_html_templates.pl in Links 2.0). I was also thinking of adding in a:

<%perl%>

<%/perl%>

tag to the template system, where the contents would be evaluated as perl code. What do you think? Worthwhile?

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply

That sounds nice, would be easy to use some perl codes within the templates then.

I am still using version 1.11 so I guess I have to dl the 2.0 version and try the templates....!

Regards

Wilhelm Andreas Eilertsen
www.radiodirectory.com
Quote Reply
That's cool! That would allow generation of random numbers, complex if-else tests and regexes!

Need to make sure that any variable defined would be global to that template, at least, not just to that <%perl%> call.

------------------
Robert S. Pataki, MD
President, PUGDOG Enterprises, Inc.
http://www.postcards.com