Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

System - Fast enough?

Quote Reply
System - Fast enough?
Hi,

Just a quick question. The server I am placing the SQl on is a PIII 500 (thats fast Wink) - The thing is it has 128MB Ram, is that enough? Thanks!

------------------
Michael Bray
Review your webhost, or find a new one at http://www.webhostarea.com

Quote Reply
Re: System - Fast enough? In reply to
Hi,

I'm using the same machine. It is fast enough but consider upgrading your RAM if the web-server is running on the same computer and you get heavy traffic.

Alexander
Quote Reply
You'll get better performance with 256meg
of ram. At about $200, it's a really good
investment.

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
Alex,

Is your ODP sample a subset? I downloaded the ODP and it was 400+ meg uncompressed. Granted, there is extra overhead in that, but I can't believe a 10:1 overhead for RDF.

MySQL tables, links, indexes, etc take up more room than the uncompressed data. What is being held in memory -- the indexes?

I'm trying to make sense out of this, but the numbers don't seem to add up.

Also, depending on how many Apache processes you have running you chew up memory. I have 25 keep-alive processes with at least a 2-3 meg overhead for each (with PHP loaded) and that is another 75 meg or so.

128 is a tight fit for a zippy server. If you own the server, the extra memory to 256 is the least expensive way to make it perform better.

Quote Reply
The ideal situation is to be able to place all your mysql table info into memory, to minimize disk i/o. Our Open Directory sample of 45,000 links takes about 40 MB of space with search index. So 128 would probably be fine (assuming this is a dedicated machine).

However, if you are on a virtual, it's very hard to tell as you don't know how much other people are using, so generally the more the better. =)

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Hi Pugdog,

No, I was talking about the Business section subset we have which is only 35,000 links. That probably clears things up. =) On our internal full listing of dmoz with 515,000 links (it's a little out of date), that takes up 548 MB of data. So with dmoz data, it seems to be 1 MB for each 1,000 links.

This will of course vary greatly depending on how you use your database, etc.

Cheers,

Alex