Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Spam? It Keeps Happening!

Quote Reply
Spam? It Keeps Happening!
I am about as frustrated as one can get over spam, I am about to go back to the old system of having people submit links directly through email. What exactly is the point of having spam prevention in the script if it doesn't work ($LINKS{db_referers} ...
Could someone please give me an modified version of "blockurl" that works with Links SQL. I am a complete novice and I tried using the script from http://lookhard.hypermart.net/links-mods/blockurls.html , but because it was made for links 2 I can't find the areas in the add.cgi that I should edit.

I am now getting over 1000 submissions a day from geocity hackers... all hack sites.

Thanks in advance... Any help is very much appreciated.
Janx

Quote Reply
Re: Spam? It Keeps Happening! In reply to
janx,

I had this happen a while back, people linking to my add.cgi file and S.E. submission software suppliers adding it to their databases, so I renamed the add.cgi script every few weeks to a new name and after a few months it stopped (you also need to change any references to it in your templates, etc. and do a 're-build' to setup the correct URL from your new, cool and category pages - maybe a few other places, I forget, it was a long time ago!)

You could also check your referrer log to see if it's just a single link from someone's site that's sending people your way, and if so, ask the site owner to remove the link or change it so it directs to your homepage instead.

All the best
Shaun

Quote Reply
Re: Spam? It Keeps Happening! In reply to
I had the same thing recently as well. Since I use HumanClick on my web site which traces the IP and the referrer, I contacted their ISP directly and the attacks stopped forthwith.

New Zealand Christian Internet Directory