Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Sorry newbies questions

Quote Reply
Sorry newbies questions
Hi,

I plan to purchase LinkSQL to handle some parts of my site. But there are some stuff i need to know.

1/ Could you format the output of the data like you want or it is hard to do?
for example i would like my software list to look like : http://www.pdafrance.com/software/agenda.htm
you can see some custom fields like : download, url, price, screenshot,....

2/ is that possible to have different layout and data (fields) for categories? or do i have to install LinkSQL twice? or tell him to use a new database? (easy or complicated?)

Sorry if those questions have been already answered. I browsed here a lot, read the excellent FAQ, but sometimes it is too complicated for me when you are not "in" the code.

thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Sorry newbies questions In reply to
LinkSQL uses templates to formate the output, like LInks 2.0. They are somewhat more complex -- the subcategory.html file adds a bit more formatting.

You should check out the demo -- you can use different template formats for the database, with dyanmic generation.

That would let you have different templates for different categories, if you coded it right.

There is also a multi-category mod for LinkSQL as well.

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
pdatoon:

I have so modified the basic links that it is hardly recognizable. Rather than keep links of websites, I have it keep track of cartoon credits- with fields like director, writer, animator, you get the idea. It took a bit to get up to speed with what SQL is and how to add all my fields (I use about 40!) but once I got it up, it runs like a champ.

I agree with pugdog- run the free version first... not only will you learn a lot about how to set it up, but you will work out a lot of the bugs about which fields you need, and how to format them.

Good Luck!

Dave
Quote Reply
thanx for your reply!
Would that be possible to see your website carfac so i have a better idea of what we can do?

thank you a lot!

PDAToon