Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Security levels?

Quote Reply
Security levels?
Alex,

Could a multi-admin type option be put into LinkSQL using the built in access of SQL? The userid that people log in on, would determine what fields they could modify? I don't know enough about MySQL and LinkSQL to know if there would be problems with that, but from what I've been reading, it seems like it would be an easy way to allow this.

BTW: how's the next release coming?
Quote Reply
Re: Security levels? In reply to
Hi,

I am working on an editor modification which will give people who log in, their own mini editor. They will be able to modify links and categories within a given subcategory. The admin will be able to add/remove editors like any other table.

Is this kind of what you mean?

As for next release, see the next message. =)

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Yes, that's sort of what I had in mind.

What I need more than sub-category editors, is the ability to have a 'proof reader' type editor who can edit the description field for typos, but really can't change anything else.

This is more for technical reasons than absolute security -- don't want accidents messing up the database, but would like to have help maintaining the descriptions and stuff.
Quote Reply
Proof readers might be better off working off-line. Perhaps consider exporting the data to Access/Excel, make the changes, then import it back in. It should be pretty easy to only import the Description fields back in (some easy cut and pasting in Access will do the trick).

Cheers,

Alex