Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Searching Explaned ...

Quote Reply
Searching Explaned ...
Hello,
I was just over at the demo of Links SQL. In the search page, you can get yahoo like search results if you use the "or connector" and "substring". I did not try "whole work" so it may work like that too. If you want that on every page, just make those ratio buttons hidden. I dont have a copy of the code, so I cant really make a mod out of it.
Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Searching Explaned ... In reply to
It's similar... but all you have to do is in the search box code change the default values in the templates, and if you want 'or' to be the default, make that 'checked'

If you want the defaults to be automatic, just make the fields 'hidden' rather than checkbox.

Code:
<form action="<%db_cgi_url%>/search.cgi" method="GET">
<div class="margin">
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
<tr><td><FONT FACE=ARIAL SIZE=3>Search: <input type="TEXT" name="query" size="30">
<input type="Submit" value="Search"></FONT></td>
</tr>
<tr><td><FONT FACE=ARIAL SIZE=3>Number of Results: <SELECT name="mh"><OPTION>10<OPTION SELECTED>25<OPTION>50<OPTION>100</SELECT></FONT></td>
</tr>
<tr><td><FONT FACE=ARIAL SIZE=3>AND connector: <input type="RADIO" name="bool" value="and" > OR connector: <input type="RADIO" name="bool" value="or" CHECKED></FONT></td>
</tr>
<tr><td><FONT FACE=ARIAL SIZE=3>Substring: <input type="RADIO" name="substring" value="1" CHECKED> Exact Word: <input type="RADIO" name="substring" value=0></FONT></td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>
</form>

is the code for setting it to the mentioned defaults.

To make it a one-line type search box:

Code:
<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">
<tr>
<form action="<%db_cgi_url%>/search.cgi" method="GET">
<td width="20%">
</td>
<td align="center" nowrap width="60%">
<input type="text" size=32 name="query">
<input type=submit value="Search">
</td>
<td width="20%" nowrap align="left">
<font face="Arial,Helvetica" size="-2">
<a href="<%db_cgi_url%>/search.cgi">
<font color="#0000FF">Advanced Search</font></a></font>
<input type="HIDDEN" name="bool" value="or">
<input type="HIDDEN" name="substring" value="1">
</td>
</tr>
</form>
</table>

[This message has been edited by pugdog (edited September 25, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: Searching Explaned ... In reply to
I don't know why you say that using the "or connector" and "substring" at the same time are going to give you a very similar Yahoo searches.

It looks that you don't haven't seen how yahoo searches, right now the searches in Links SQL are very poor, you receive a lot of links in every search that don't have nothing to do.