Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

SSI in templates ...

Quote Reply
SSI in templates ...
I forgot to ask in my last post about upgrading, can I still use SSI calls in Links SQL with the templates?

All the best
Shaun

------------------
Shaun Hague
Webmaster - Qango.com
http://www.qango.com/central/
Quote Reply
Re: SSI in templates ... In reply to
Yep. That aspect is the same as in Links 2 (i.e. SSI works in the HTML pages but not the cgi pages) except for one minor area. If you are using page.cgi to display pages dynamically, it will not recognize SSI. There was a mod presented a month or so ago to get around that temporarily.

Dan
Quote Reply
Any static page, that is sent BY THE SERVER can use SSI. You need to have Links output the proper extension -- unless your server reads all pages as SSI pages (ie: shtml, or whatever).

A cgi-generated page -- that is any page returned by search.cgi, add.cgi, modify.cgi, etc _cannot_ use SSI, because the server is NOT sending the "page". The server is sending the output of a cgi call, and only sees the .cgi extension, and thus ignores anything in the file.

This is why you can't dynamically generate PHP pages -- you either use .cgi or .php but not both on the same page.

Quote Reply
Within the search.cgi

are you able to use exec ssi call to execute another cgi script?

Or doesn't this work either?
Quote Reply
I'm not sure what you are asking.... but you can't execute an SSI from inside a CGI generated page.

The page can contain links that when clicked will activate -- but there is no 'auto' activation or insertion of code.

You need to do it in the .cgi program _before_ you output it.