Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

seach.cgi - categories and sub-categories

Quote Reply
seach.cgi - categories and sub-categories
Hi,

This questions may have already been covered, but I can't seem to find the right resources or forum links for it.

I'm trying to implement a feature that will allow surfers to search the whole site, or just the category and all sub-cateogories that they are currently located in.

As well, I want to create a remote search box for my site, I want to be able to limit which main category the search box searchs in. for an example now that I have confused everyone.

Site A: is on GM cars
Site B: is on Ford cars.
Site C: is on VW cars

I want to put a search box on site A that will only search the /GM/ catgory and all sub categories etc.

I want to put a search box on site B that will only search the /Ford/ catgory and all sub categories etc.

I want to put a search box on site A that will only search the /VW/ catgory and all sub categories etc.

Right now I have about 25 main cateogories in the site, with over 800 catogories in total.

I can get the html site of it done, I'm wondering if there is a way to pass a hidden variable from withing hte <FORM> / <INPUT> tag that will tell search.cgi to only search category xxx and it's sub categories.

I've found this thread but it seems a little confusion.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum9/HTML/000204.html

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

-
Eric Geiler
Links SQL User
Quote Reply
Re: seach.cgi - categories and sub-categories In reply to
Wait til the next release. I believe Alex said that the ability to search a single category or tree was built in to that.

Quote Reply
Re: seach.cgi - categories and sub-categories In reply to
I did this mod for LinkSQL 1.11. It'snot really simple to implement... I did change and add some code in search.pm and in DBSQL.pm. As you can see, both are very mission critical files.

If you want I can post the mod here, but I think the best choice is to wait the lext release.

cheers

lepo

Lepo - lepo@comune.carpi.mo.it