Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Yahoo-Style Subcategories

Quote Reply
Yahoo-Style Subcategories
I know this problem has been discussed many times before and I've found some interesting hints on how to do it, but there was no real solution for it.

I saw a script for an older Links-SQL version which seemed to be very interesting because of the different styles you could use but I failed to implement it to the current version.

My Question is: Is there anybody who finally made this script or a similiar run correctly under version 1.11?
If not, is there another way of doing this without entering the subcats manually in the description-field?

I think I'm not the only one who's interested in this topic and maybe we can start the discussion again and find a solution after all.

Quote Reply
Re: Yahoo-Style Subcategories In reply to
Jerry Su (widgetz) provided codes to do this with Links SQL in the following Thread:

http://gossamer-threads.com/...pl?ubb=000163:Forum9

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
That's the one I found too.

But he's using a version of Links-SQL without the usual templates and I didn't find a way to build it into version 1.11.

That's why I'm asking again not because I was too lazy to search the forum. Smile

Quote Reply
Uh...ALL the versions of LINKS SQL use templates. The codes he provided needs to be inserted in the sub site_html_print_cat routine in the HTML_Templates.pm as clearly stated in his instructions. And the way he has written the codes, the <%Description%> tag will now contain the subcategories!

READ the Thread more carefully!

Got it!?

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
I'm not sure who didn't read the thread carefully enough!

If you look at it you will find the following statement:

In Reply To:
pugdog:

Doesn't plug in that easily to the newer template-based category routine.
I guess you have the original update, not the 'beta' release.
the answer was:

In Reply To:
widgetz:

template based eh?
no.. i have the older one.. i just got today.. i think i'll stay with it until a NON beta comes out.. at that time i'll post another one..
another disturbing thing was the following code which should be found in HTML_Templates.pm (sub site_html_print_cat) but is NOT there:

Code:
$output .= qq|</dt>|;
$output .= qq|<dd><span class="descript">$description </span></dd>| if ($description !~ /^\s*$/sm);
$output .= qq|</dl>|;
btw.: I never mentioned there was a version without templates!

So I'm going to repeat my question for the third time:

In Reply To:
Is there anybody who finally made this script or a similiar run correctly under version 1.11?
If not, is there another way of doing this without entering the subcats manually in the description-field?

Thanks in advance to anybody who can help!

Quote Reply
I've read the Thread and I have also implemented widgetz's codes for Links SQL v.1.11. I guess someone else will have to help you.

Good luck!

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Please post the code of your site_html_print_cat so that I can see where you put the Yahoo-Style code and what other changes you made.

Thank you for it.