Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

What's a girl to do?!

Quote Reply
What's a girl to do?!
Hi,

I need to use Parse_RDF.pl to parse additional entries from DMOZ and into my database. I know that Parse_RDF.pl will not add the links with existing links in the database, so I am looking for an alternate solution.

My question is this: Is there any way to specify the beginning category and link numbers in Parse_RDF.pl? I could then parse into an empty database, then consolidate the data. Do you know how I could achieve this?

Thanks!! :))
Katina

Quote Reply
Re: What's a girl to do?! In reply to
Hello?! Anyone here?

Katina

Quote Reply
Hey there

katina I saw that you have used Dmoz.cgi located on this web site.
Quiz please after you request the category from ODP and it tells you it will take 200 hours or so, where does the parsed category go? do they e-mail it to you or what?

Anyone knows?

regards
Christa

Quote Reply
Hi Christa,

I've tried the parser on this site (a couple times) and have never received any notification it was completed.. I have a feeling it simply doesn't work. :( I'll tell you, this parsing has turned into a nightmare. As you can see, I still haven't received a reply from GT for this post *sigh*..

Anyway, good luck, and I'll let you know if I find out anything..

Katina

Quote Reply
Thanks a lot.

Actually in this forum there are a lot of issues that had never been resolved, but still Eliot and pugdog are doing what they can, I hope if they can answer the quiz more thoroughly not just suggest an brief solution that works for experts only or ask you to search the forum for something you can never find.
this just a hope Eliot and pugdog you have help me in several issues Wink .

Regards

Quote Reply
I hope so too.. but it's already been over a week and still no answer. Is anyone there?

Katina

Quote Reply
>> My question is this: Is there any way to specify the beginning category and
>> link numbers in Parse_RDF.pl? I could then parse into an empty database,
>> then consolidate the data. Do you know how I could achieve this?

I thought the current version of the parser would APPEND links to an existing site, and not overwrite.

>> # 4. Append? If set to 1 the script will add all links and categories, if set to 0, the
>> # script will only add links/categories that don't already exist (slows down the parsing).
>> my $APPEND = 1;

It never was perfect, and you might end up having to move categories, so try it on a limited subset of the stuff you want to import.

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://postcards.com/FAQ

Quote Reply
Pugdog,

Thank you for answering!! :)) No, I've tried that (many, many, many) times and it doesn't work. I was wondering if there was an alteration to the Parse_RDF.pl file we could make to tell it to start at a certain number of links and categories.

Alternately, I would love to have a copy of the parsing script you were running on this site, which allowed you to specify these fields. Is this possible?

Thanks!
Katina

Quote Reply
I don't know what to tell you.... I have had my share of problems with it.

And, my standard disclaimer: I don't work for GT. I'm just a client :)

PUGDOGŪ

Quote Reply
Pugdog,

Well, in that case, I especially appreciate the help you've offered. Not many people would go out of their way like you do.. Thank you! :)

Katina

Quote Reply
You're welcome :)

PUGDOGŪ