Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Links Sql 1.1

Quote Reply
Links Sql 1.1
I have upgraded and have modified the subcategory.html to suit but I cannot manage to create a space to stop the ist column butting alongside the 2nd column? You can see what I mean here

http://www.intheuk.net/search/index.html
any help will as always be gratefully received

Stubbers
Quote Reply
Re: Links Sql 1.1 In reply to
One way is to put your subcategory.html into a table, and add an empty second column. Another way would be to to add a smaller column as the first and third so that you put a bit of space at the left sidebar, you have two spaces (the last of the first column, and the first of the second column) in the middle, and then another small space at the right side.

Another way, is in the HTML_Templates.pm file where you see:

Code:
# We check to see if we are half way through, if so we stop this table cell
# and begin a new one (this lets us have category names in two columns).
($i and ($i % $breakpoint)) or ($output .= qq|</td><td class="catlist" valign="top">\n|);
$i++;

The </td><td> is where the second column starts, so if you make that:
Code:
</td><td><font color=white>...</font></td><td>

That inserts a blank 3rd colum between the two that are filled with category listings. The reason for the <font> tag is that not all browsers, or all formatting will make the table any given size, and by putting in periods the same color as the background, you can easily manage the size of the middle gutter.

You can also make your columns align better, if you put "width=100%" or "width=50%" in each of the <TD> tags for the columns (what works depends on how you have formatted the HTML)

Code:
# Print Header.
$output = qq|<div class="margin"><table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tr><td class="catlist" valign="top">\n|;
$i = 0;
and in

the new code above, in the last <td> tag (the one after the new one with the <font> tag we added.

That will force the category columns to use up as much space as they can, giving a better formatting.

You need to experiment a little, but that's what page.cgi is for <G> Keep working on your template, and checking it in page.cgi

When you get it right, you can re-build your site.

It would be nicer if this was easier to modify, but once you study it a bit, you see how the category listing is being built, and it starts to make a little sense.

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
Thanks once again Pugdog you're a star .. this works a treat! my site is now progressing well and in a week or so will become live. A test is up at http://www.intheuk.net/search/index.html

Stubbers
Quote Reply
You are welcome Smile

Good start, and your own look.

WHen you are done, don't forget to list your site in the resource area for sites in action.