Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Is Links SQL for me?

Quote Reply
Is Links SQL for me?
I am currently using Links 2.0 and have around 1500 links. Not a lot yet, but I intend to have a large database in the future.

Right now, I've found problems with my high traffic site and it's CPU usage. (so my host said) Will switching to SQL use less resources or more? I am looking for efficiency here, and would like to stay out of trouble with my host.

Can you give me an idea of the resources a sizable SQL directory uses?

Thanks for any info you can provide Smile
Quote Reply
Re: Is Links SQL for me? In reply to
I'd say yes.. The most CPU usage is with searching, building, emailing, verifying..

the searching will totally save you alot of CPU..

building will save as it uses way less memory and spends less time searching for things..

emailing.. won't change much..

verifying.. won't change much.. but now you can verify certain links only.. instead of all

jerry
Quote Reply
Wow! What a quick reply.. this bulletin board is such a great service.

I plan to upgrade for sure then. What I didn't want was MORE resource usage!!
Quote Reply
Although I haven't found any "downsides".. I have heard about just some issues.. about search.cgi.. (no clue what about though.. supposedly the code hasn't met a few of the people's standards..)

the other one is the lack of mods.. but i see that because mainly a final release of links sql hasn't come yet.. i made about 3 mods using 1.02 that had to be MAJORLY modified to fit into 1.1b1.. and i don't know if i want to change to 1.2 when it comes anymore Wink

but i don't think that will be a problem for long.

Plus.. I'll be willing to tackle any mods needed.. although I'll need to find some more time to do so..

However, I do not think those issues are issues that you should worry about..

jerry