Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

FAQ for LinkSQL

Quote Reply
FAQ for LinkSQL
I've offered to build an FAQ for LinkSQL, that will supplement the 'mods' and resource centers files. Alex has made space in the FAQ area here, but it's going to be easier if I can update and add/change things directly without bugging them. If Alex wants, he could mirror it here on Gossamer-Threads.

I spent yesterday playing with FAQ programs, and quite frankly, they all S**K big time. Each one was designed to address a single problem, and are quite pittiful in implementation at any cost. There are some nice basic ones, but nothing of 'professional' or 'programmer' quality I could find. OpenFAQ is a nice free one, and Faq-O-Matic is almost bizzare (it did have the most impressive install program I have EVER seen on any Unix-based program free or commercial bar none). Trouble is, I can't get the RCS system to work right.. and I think it's probably too confusing for most people.

Anyway, if anyone has ideas for FAQ programs, please let me know.

In lieu of finding anything better for an FAQ, I've set it up as a LinkSQL database, in the same colors and basic layout as the Resource Center.

It's not really open yet, and right now the only way to get there is:
http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL
It probably won't get linked from anywhere else, unless a spider manages to find it.

Feel free to take a look if you just can't wait.

What I need are pointers to the threads that have generally useful information, or where someone has taken the time to explain a situation.

I'll edit, condense, credit, and put it into the FAQ so we don't have to spend so much time telling people where stuff is.... Smile

I also need suggestions for categories, sub categories, and things that you might want added. There are a few of us here who can probably hash out any pending question in short order.

Remember: This is NOT for mods -- mods go to the resource center. This is an FAQ -- Frequently Asked Questions.

Hopefully, it will be able to answer questions before they get asked. There is a section for Basic Customization now -- the stuff like date changes, and sorting orders, etc. and I'm working to find all the date stuff and get that loaded.

Any help would be apreciated -- if you've got some time to dig out and contribute please do!

I don't know if the submission forms work, since I do everything from the admin area, but I think I got it all tweaked. The best way is to email your stuff, or to post it here, and it will find it's way in.

Thanks.

Quote Reply
Re: FAQ for LinkSQL In reply to
Hello Mr. Pataki!

Its wonderful what you are doing. Thats great!!! What I am missing is this part of the Links SQL. I would like to offer you a hand and suggestion or help in any kind. Let me know if you need any help of any kind.

I had a suggestion. If one slowly builds such FAQ, and then includes in the distribution of html documentation would be wonderful. This means this little readme will only be the last minites instruction what one may have to include, but not really what and how to run the program. There may be one directory of "Documentation chapresized" and with clikable links may give all the necessary questions. Many software has this kind of clickable documentations.

Further, I thought, the distribution may also include anathor directory called User_Customs. This user directory may have one module called "Custom.pm", + all or any other scripts or mods. It is there all the users may include all the extra sub_routines. Therefore, it can be distribited with the originals and also the password of the central control Liscensed User password! The sub routine may look like

sub rajani_html_xxx ## 1.1

This will tell that this subroutine has changed or not. Also in every script it will be written once

use Custom.pm

once for all and all the subroutines will be available from there for every script. The resource centre will explain what is available and the download will point to the main liscenced download area. Therefore, one may not need to check in the DBSQL or anywhere any update!!! The some of the main original modules and scripts can remain intact.

So FAQ and Custom.pm needs to be in the distribution. What do you`ll think?
Quote Reply
Re: FAQ for LinkSQL In reply to
hey pugdog..

your mods..

category dir names is included in Links SQL as of 1.1b3 Smile

jerry