Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
RDF's
Is it possible to download the content.rdf locally and delete the content you do not want. Upload this to the server and parse it. The reason im asking is because my hosting is limited to 70 megs and the RDF is 100mbs. If anyone knows please email me. This is urgent.

jason@webaccess.com.au

Quote Reply
Re: RDF's In reply to
The ODP file is 100+ meg COMPRESSED. It uncompresses to almost 600 meg.

You can download it to your local machine, and cut it up, but you need an editor that can handle files of arbitrary size. I've given up with doing that on Windows, since the memory leaks are so bad the system just crashes after doing it. On Unix, JOE (and probably Emacs, though I don't know since I haven't used it in almost 20 years) can handle files of arbitrary size. To make it easier, I've cut the file into 50 meg pieces, then edit each one separately. Fortunately, for the pieces I wanted none crossed a 'split' boundary. If they did, you'd have to put the two files together, or split them differently.

I did a bunch of searching the net for RDF references, and of course, windows crashed before I could get them posted. But, there is a lot of information out there if you search for RDF format, but _none_ allows parsing/cuttting up of the DMOZ file, or an RDF file of that size.

Quote Reply
pugdog I have found a very good program for windows that can open files upto 2GB. Thats what they claim but I have no problem opening the 541Mb RDF file. It doesnt use virtual memory to load the whole file. It reads lines from the file as you scroll. This stops your machine from crashing. The program is called VeDit and you can get it from http://www.vedit.com

They have a trial version which lasts 30 days and then expires. Registration I think is $89.00.

A very good editor from what I have seen so far.

Thanks
Jason

Quote Reply
That's worth noting. Edit-in-place editors were very common in the 64k and earlier days, but have fallen by the wayside in more recent years.

Once things settle down, I'll try to get a list of unix and windows editors that will allow editing the RDF files.

Any suggestions or tricks you or others find, please post, and I'll try to get them all sorted out in the next few weeks.