Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Questions about LinksSQL and the hosting plan

Quote Reply
Questions about LinksSQL and the hosting plan
I am very interested in Links SQL and the hosing plan and i have some qestions about them.

about the hosting plan:
If my website gets 10000 visitors a day with 10000 + links, is the plan suitable for me?

About Links SQL:
My website is writen in Chinese with some fields added including alt. category, language, keywords. Is it easy for me to change the data into Links SQL format?

best regards
Quote Reply
Re: Questions about LinksSQL and the hosting plan In reply to
It really depends on the amount of bandwidth you'll expect to use. With 10,000 visitors a day you could expect maybe 150,000 hits per day which could translate into 1 GB of traffic per day. This would put you at 30 GB of traffic a month. Of course this really depends a lot on the layout of your site, how many graphics, how many pages a user typically visits, etc.

At this amount of bandwidth you might want to consider a dedicated machine, as the hosting plan only comes with 12 GB a month, each extra GB is $6.75, so you would be paying an extra $120 a month in bandwidth.

You might also want to start with the hosting plan, and then as traffic starts to reach those levels, you could switch to a dedicated. I'm confident the programming would work fine on the shared server at those levels though.

As for Links SQL, adding the extra fields is easy, I don't see a problem there.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Thanks for your quick reply.

The bandwidth is not a big problem but what i concern about is the CPU useage.

When my traffic got 5000visitors/day with 3000+ links, about 3000 hits of the search.cgi, my previous host told me that the script used about 75% CPU which i can't belive.

I wonder if Links SQL can solve this problem and works fine on a shared server.
If i switch to a dedicated server and Links SQL, can a PII PC with 64MB ram do this work for me with 10000 visitors/day?
Quote Reply
Hello!

Quote:
If i switch to a dedicated server and Links SQL, can a PII PC with 64MB ram do this work for me with 10000 visitors/day?

If it is on a shared server it may slow down but not on a dedicated server. However this is only my feelings and not a concrete answer out of experience.

By the way check out www.pair.com ! They have dedicated server plans and ofcourse they are the cheapest and the best.

------------------
rajani

Quote Reply
No, you'll be fine on the shared plan. These shared servers have a max of 10 other accounts on them (whereas some virtual accounts can have anywhere from 250, to 1,000 other accounts). So each user gets quite a lot of system resources to work with.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
LinkSQL/MySQL will use less CPU resources for a given amount of requests than flat-file searching on a 3,000+ link database. What the actual CPU usage would be, is unknown, but the best way to improve it is to bump the machine up to 128 meg of RAM.

If this is a dedicated machine running under Unix, and all it's being asked to do is run the webserver/Links, then you should see a pretty dramtic drop in CPU with the SQL version and MySQL.

A RDBMS uses less physical memory and resources for each proces, since it doesn't have to load the whole database -- only the part the index points to.

Quote Reply
I am having problems with my current ISP on a shared server, because I am no longer able to build my pages (keeps getting timed out).

Does the Links SQL Hosting Plan at World Market ($150/month) allow Telnet access? Would there be any problems in building a database with 10,000 records and 3,000 - 4,000 categories?

I want to make sure this is the right option, especially if there is an upfront payment of six months ($900)...

Verio offers a plan with Virtual Private Servers with 200mb of space, MySQL availability and Telnet access, plus the ability to host more than one domain name. Is it true that building by Telnet uses up considerably less system resources? If so, would this be a good deal ($150 per month for this at Verio)?

Is it possible to host more than one domain name with the World Market Plan?

Any feedback or comments would be most appreciated, as I need to get my site building as soon as possible again, and I would like the capacity to have a few different domains without paying double for everything...

--FM
Quote Reply

Quote:
With 10,000 visitors a day you could expect maybe 150,000 hits per day which could translate into 1 GB of traffic per day. This would put you at 30 GB of traffic a month.
Is that right? Assuming an average page size of 30k (html and graphics), I calculate closer to 5 GB a day => 150 GB per month! Did I make an error somewhere? 10,000 visitors a day is a lot!

Dan
Quote Reply

Quote:
Does the Links SQL Hosting Plan at World Market ($150/month) allow Telnet access? Would there be any problems in building a database with 10,000 records and 3,000 - 4,000 categories?

Yes, you get telnet access, and no that wouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
Is it possible to host more than one domain name with the World Market Plan?

No, the server only hosts Links SQL accounts (a max of 10 per server).

Quote:
Is it true that building by Telnet uses up considerably less system resources?

No, that's not true. What you gain by building by telnet is you avoid any restrictions the web server (or an external program) place on CGI scripts. If you run the script from telnet, it is able to run longer, and can complete more often.

Cheers,

Alex

Quote Reply
To this end... to clarify a point I'm sure someone is thinking about...

Running perl via Telnet is _not_ affected by mod_perl built into apache, _but_ it does follow the strict rules if defined in the file.

mod_perl is only for CGI operations, and there is no benefit (or even a real way) to "run it" via telnet.

mod_perl is faster for CGI operations, because it allows the webserver to keep perl in memory to handle the requests. When you run via telnet you are not going through the webserver, you are running perl directly --

either by typing: perl program.cgi

or by the #!/usr/local/bin/perl -wTs

in the first line of the perl program.

This is also why running by telnet is not affected by server time outs, time limits, or cgi restrictions -- it's _not_ a cgi program!! Smile

http://www.server.com/cgi-bin/program.cgi

_is_ a cgi call, run by the server.

/www/usrname/server/cgi-bin/program.cgi

or:

perl /www/usrname/server/cgi-bin/program.cgi

is _NOT_ a cgi program call, it's run as any other local process on the machine.

Hope this helps anyone who was too afraid to ask the question!!! Smile

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/