Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Question on Links Sql capability

Quote Reply
Question on Links Sql capability
Suppose I was to import all 1.1mil links from dmoz.org (open directory project)
Would Links Sql handle that many?
Opinions?

Just curious, not like I would do it, prolly couldnt afford the hardware needed Smile
Quote Reply
Re: Question on Links Sql capability In reply to
i don't think that is a good idea.. I'd look into an Oracle DB.. not mySQL

jerry
Quote Reply
I wasnt serious.
I am just trying to guage the capability of Links Sql. I was expecting one of the following answers:
Will run fine.
Would run, but be slow.
Would handle it had cray computer.
Cough, putter, puke, poof!

Any idea of the maximum capability on a dual Xeon 450-2mb with 1gig ram?
50k links, more? less?
I am wondering cause my links are increasing exponentially, I had gotten up to 10k links and over a hundred new per week and I choked my last box, but that was prolly due to the fact I was running 1.1 non-sql.
I dont want to choke this box, and want an idea of how many links before I get near choking it Smile

Chris
Quote Reply
ok.. well i'd say.. YES IT WOULD WORK.. but a newbie could probably learn perl in the time it takes to build the pages... Wink

also.. search.cgi would take more resources.. but not that much more.. probably from 1 sec to like 12 seconds..

but if you have a high traffic site.. that is bad..

jerry
Quote Reply
Links SQL would work, and I'm pretty confident it would build in a reasonable amount of time, and search reasonably quickly on that configuration of machine.

Where I think you would run into problems is in managing 1.1 million links. Managing updates, additions, deletions, etc. You might even want a separate machine just to verify the links as it would probably be running 24/7. Wink

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
DC -- if I had your hardware, I'd import the DMOZ just for the hell of it Smile

Just to see what would happen.

I've considered it, but I've got too many other absurd ways to amuse myself Smile

Quote Reply
I am thinking of doing half of it.
I have a dual 333 doing nothing and could set it up on that. If does well on that, I may build another Dual xeon box and go for all the links.
btw..I built that dual xeon for under $2k ... thanks ebay and onsale! Smile